Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30-day late for joint account shows up on my CR but not his

tag
positivenrg
Established Member

30-day late for joint account shows up on my CR but not his

Hi everyone!

I have been working to rebuild my credit after a divorce and I have come across an odd situation.

There are 2 joint accounts that I shared with  my ex-husband - a mortgage and a boat loan - that are showing up as derogatory accounts on my credit reports. On each loan, the very last payment made to satisfy the loans is marked as 30-days late.

I think I know what happened. My ex-husband refinanced after our divorce and the new lender he went through might have made the final payments after the due date. I wrote goodwill letters to the original bank we had the loans through, explaining that I had no role in the situation and asking if they would remove the 30-day dings, but they refused.

I asked my ex-husband if these payments were legitimately late or if there were grounds to dispute them and he said they even don't show up on HIS credit report at all! I find this incredibly strange!

Today, I wrote another letter to the bank and asked for an explanation and for copies of the entire payment histories on both accounts. Is there anything else I can or should do?

I should mention that both accounts have been paid in full since 2010 and are no longer being reported to the credit bureaus BUT they still show up on MY credit reports as derogatory and I want my next  mortgage lender to see that I was indeed a good customer with my previous mortgage bank. 

Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 30-day late for joint account shows up on my CR but not his

Heat them with the BBB.

Message 2 of 3
positivenrg
Established Member

Re: 30-day late for joint account shows up on my CR but not his

Someone advised me to dispute it with the credit bureaus, directly. I just don't have documentation because, obiously, my ex-husband is the one who did the refinance. This is frustrating. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.