Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

3rd CC?

I have been 'pre-approved' for some cards designed for people with average credit.  i have 2 cards atm with 7 months of positive history atm,  in 6-9months from now is it going to help my score by getting a 3rd card?  Or is 2 enough already? (I know to start with the tradeline untested it lowers your score, also the AAoA's, and the inquiry will be neg to my score too, but factoring that with the positives after 6months or so, is my score going to be better off?    (I have <9%/on purpose utilization atm so the extra CL to improve uti is not a factor in this, mind you.)    Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 3rd CC?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been 'pre-approved' for some cards designed for people with average credit.  i have 2 cards atm with 7 months of positive history atm,  in 6-9months from now is it going to help my score by getting a 3rd card?  Or is 2 enough already? (I know to start with the tradeline untested it lowers your score, also the AAoA's, and the inquiry will be neg to my score too, but factoring that with the positives after 6months or so, is my score going to be better off?    (I have <9%/on purpose utilization atm so the extra CL to improve uti is not a factor in this, mind you.)    Thanks!

If it were me, I would wait until my credit improves a little further and those accounts age, then apply for a prime card or two.  I don't know that there is much credit score advantage to adding 3 cards over 2, and the inquiries/new accounts may push back the time you need to wait to go prime.

Message 2 of 8
FrugalRican
Blogger

Wait a little longer. Let those two INQ's come off as you develop a more positive history.
Try for a third after you've at least had the year with both cards.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I would be approved, and I am not concerned about the CL or using it or anything, I am just wondering if there will be a score benefit from having a 3rd positive tradeline after 6-9 months useage.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 8
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

I would hold off. Obtaining a new card will bring down the average age of your credit. 

AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 5 of 8
Treysdaddy08
Valued Member

It would depend on how close you think you are to prime card territory. If you're just a few points away then I would wait, as the time and the inquiries being dropped would prob give you those points. If you're still a ways off, having less than half your cards hold a balance will help, and since one is less than three, I would want to start the aging on the credit card now. Just my two cents.

Starting Score: 2/2/12 - 551
Current Score: 3/18/12 - 636
Goal Score: 660

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Treysdaddy08 wrote:
It would depend on how close you think you are to prime card territory. If you're just a few points away then I would wait, as the time and the inquiries being dropped would prob give you those points. If you're still a ways off, having less than half your cards hold a balance will help, and since one is less than three, I would want to start the aging on the credit card now. Just my two cents.

Im at, 607 equifax, 635 TU, not sure what Prime is, but I think I might be a ways off lol.

Message 7 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I to opened up an additional card over the last month, taking me to 3 CCs.  While on vacation last week, I was given a pre-approved for a Plat. Visa.

Would I LOVE to have it in my wallet?  Sure!

Did I tear it up, because I know they would deny me in the end?  Sure did!

Not worth the HP to me right now.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.