cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

450 Credit Score, how to get back to high 600s or low 700s?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

450 Credit Score, how to get back to high 600s or low 700s?

Hey all,

First time caller, long time listener!

So, here is the lowdown - I had not been making payments on my credit card of $500, my student loan of about $4000, and some parking tickets in Southern California that had gone to GC Services (collecitons) of about $450.

I paid off my Capitol One credit card, but it's restricted and not usable at the moment, so I put down $100 for a capitol one secured credit card (limit $250) That way, I can make little purchases and start to build back up my credit.

I then called my student loan company and used a forebearance until Jan 2018 so I can try and get 'above water,' so to speak. Soon, I'll go to LA Superior Court and try to pay off the traffic tickets directly.

After paying off my credit card, I went to the credit bureaus and disputed the capitol one card that was late. However, my credit has not gone up at all since paying it.

What are my options to try and fix my credit as quickly as possible? Should I get a few more secured credit cards and just pay for little stuff like gas or car insurance (note: my terrible spending habits with credit cards are a thing of the past, so please bear that in mind when offering advice). 

To me, the best thing I could do is pay off that remianing group of parking tickets for $450, Try to knock down as much of my student loan as possible between now and Jan 2018, and make small purchases with the secured credit card, then pay them off immediately. Is this a sound strategy or is there something I'm missing? Should I try and get more secure credit cards? Thanks again for any help!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 450 Credit Score, how to get back to high 600s or low 700s?

I would start with the baddies.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 450 Credit Score, how to get back to high 600s or low 700s?

@Anonymous wrote:
I would start with the baddies.

EricHeisenberg,

I sent you a reply to your inbox.. Sorry it took so long for me to see your message. Please check your inbox when you can.

Thanks In Advance

~ Shawn

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.