Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

483 to 648 in less than 2 years

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

483 to 648 in less than 2 years

I avoided credit from the get go, and then when I had it I misused it, as almost all these stories go. I had two store cards I racked up 2K in debt on then didn't pay them back, I kept putting it off, until one day they called me and said pay up or it goes to collections. Now I may have been a credit noob, but I knew this was bad. I went to the bank to get a consolidation loan. Long story short, they screwed up the account numbers on the check. When I realized the mistake, I went back to the bank and said hey you guys screwed up the paperwork, except the bank said they noticed that the checks were already cashed by "big name retailer". Called the retailer who had no record of the transactions...anddddddddddddd too late now in collections. Ended up dishing out 2k to collections, and still have to pay the bank back. I was a young man, 19 years old. Hindsight is 20/20 and I probably would've been better off trying to find an attorney to help me out but once again, I just didn't want to deal with it, I assumed it was my fault, and it was because I didn't hold the banks hand the whole way with my money, but I digress. Fast forward about 5 years and I'm at a car dealership looking to trade in my car and get a new one. Thats when I got the hard pull and the biggest wake up to my financial situation, my CS was 483, the dealership pretty much told me to hit the road unless I had some serious down payment money and was willing to pay the max APR. Which I didn't and wasn't. Stepped outside and said, well this is what I get for ignoring this problem since I was 18.

That was just shy of about 2 years ago, looking forward to that inquiry falling off btw. I started researching everything I could about credit, how other people got out of ruts, how to manage it, everything from how many accounts I should have, to how to use utlization, and understand the thought process behind not using all your credit, etc. etc. I essentially force crash coursed myself into a healthy credit plan, all that was left was to execute it. About a year and a half ago I started with a Secured Card from Capital One and started browsing creditkarma and myFICO looking for info and tips. There were some ups and downs, mistakes made along the way, over utlizing in some cases, have a few too many inquires. I still have a very long way to go, but as of today my CS is at a 648, I have 5 CCs with a total CL of about 4.5k not much but I'm hoping in this next year it will go up significantly, and a Utilization of about 14 percent, tho by the end of the month that will be close to 3-4 percent.

I guess I wrote this as a broad general "Thank you!" to everyone who helped me along the way. Your posts get read by plenty of people like me, people just browsing looking for tips and advice, general guidance and motivation. And to those of you out there stuggling financially, dig your heels in, if I can do it, I know you can. I don't really make a lot of money, though I am very grateful for each penny I have, but even on a lower end income you can make it work. Healthy financial planning has put me in a position where I am now going to be taking a month off of work to travel the world a bit, see things I want to see while I can. All because I now have at least, by my account, a decent amount of financial freedom that I am handling responsibly to do the things I want to do. Keep your eye on the prize, you'll get there before you know it.

EDIT: General grammar upgrades

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 483 to 648 in less than 2 years

Congratulations!!! Did the bank still have a copy of the check? They could have confirmed the account # they miswrote & taken that to the retailer so they can see that you applied such & such amount to an account that was misapplied to if im not mistaken. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They did indeed, however at that point when they tried to correct their mistake, the retailer had already sold my account to collections and refused to work with me any further, and the bank couldn't get me the money back since it was already cashed. It was a complete mess to say the least. Hence why I should've consulted a lawyer.

Message 3 of 5
jim44
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They did indeed, however at that point when they tried to correct their mistake, the retailer had already sold my account to collections and refused to work with me any further, and the bank couldn't get me the money back since it was already cashed. It was a complete mess to say the least. Hence why I should've consulted a lawyer.

Congrats Rebuilder27 and thanks for the story,  I entered the credit world at a young age like you,  however I had a CPA for a mother who tried to teach me the responsibility of credit, my obligations and the importance of making payments on time. Trouble was I was young and didn't want to listen and she ended up making sure my bills were paid when I didn't. I considered myself very fortunate back then.

Fast forward to 2010 when I made the largest financial investment mistake of my life and filed CH7, something that I'm not proud of. I didn't  have medical problems like some of our fellow forum members nor did I lose my job.  I just made bad decisions and ended up using up almost all of my retirement just to stay current  with my creditors.

Many of us have been in your situation...... could of.... should of... would of.  I've learned the hard way to always "read the fine print" , to sit back and take a breath before I use credit for any purchase large and small. Not to get caught up in the "promotion" game and end up paying tons of interest.

You are on the right track and the best part is you're acquiring knowledge to go forward.  Best of luck!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats.  You should be very proud of yourself.  Things will continue to get better for you.  It's true...time heals all things. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.