Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 Charge Offs- confused how to proceeed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

5 Charge Offs- confused how to proceeed

Hi Guys:

I've recently started the process of cleaning up my credit because I want to buy a house. I checked my credit report and my scores are all around 550. My biggest problem is that I have 5 charge offs on credit cards totalling around $3000. 3 of the charge offs are also being reported by collection agencies. All of the debts are only about 2 years old, so I'd rather not let them age off. What is the best way of improving my score? Do I contact the CA first, or the OC? In terms of trying to get a mortgage later- is it better to PIF, or make a settlement?

Also, I have 3 credit cards that are not in collections. I am current on them- but they are maxed out. Credit score wise, is it better to pay these off FIRST, before tackling the charge offs?

thanks for reading my newbie questions!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: 5 Charge Offs- confused how to proceeed

If the OC has reported a charge off and a debt collector has reported a collection, you have the spearate reportings of each to deal with.

In considering how to proceed with payment of the debt, the first step is to determine who now owns the debt.

If the OC still owns the debt, and the debt collector is merely assigned collection authority, then you can offer your payment to either.

Normal procedure is to offer payment in exchange for deletion of their reporting.

A party can only agree to delete their own reporting.

Thus, a PFD directed to the OC would be for payment in exchange for deletion of their reported charge-off, while a PFD directed to the OC would pertain to an offer to pay in exchange for their deletion of the reported collection.  Most consumers consider a collection more serious, and thus should direct their PFD to the debt collector.

If one party grants a PFD, you then deal with the reporting of the other party by way of a GW request after the debt has been paid.

If the Oc has sold the debt collector (which would be shown by the reporting of a $0 debt balance by the OC), then any payment can only be made to the debt collector.

In that event, your PFD must go to the debt collector, and attempt to delete the reported charge off would separately be addressed by way of GW request to the OC.

Message 2 of 4
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Are you inside or outside your state's SOL?

Utilization has a huge affect on your scores so paying down those balances will yield quick results.  However you will need to balance those payments with possible payments to the OC and/or CA for your CO's

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am inside the state's SOL

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.