cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 missed payments

tag
koop

5 missed payments

Hi, I opened a credit card with Barclays in Aug 2013. The only charge I've ever made with the account was a charge for $1.09 in the first billing cycle. But I completely forgot about the charge and not thinking there was a balance, I never checked up on it. This week, I found out that I now had a balance of $47.xx. I immediately paid it off but I am extremely worried about my credit score and report. The $47 is not that big of a deal. It could have been worse. But from what I've read online, I'm looking at a 70-100+ point hit on my score. I was advised to call Barclays and ask if they could file to remove those 5 subsequent missed payments on my account. I did but upon calling, the rep told me that it isn't possible rather than he wouldn't do it. Is it true that it isn't possible at all?

My second question is: How big of a hit can I expect on my report? The rep also told me that some credit bureaus take into account the amount in default and may not calculate it into my score. Is this true as well? I've had extremely good credit for my whole life. The current Barclays card has a $16,000 limit and I'm sure without hearing my story, anyone would find it abnormal that I would default on a $1 balance.

Additional info:

- I check my TU score through Barclays and it shows a 736 which I'm thinking is not updated? Cause it seems too high for having an account that was in default for 5 months.

- I've never missed payments in my life before this
- Though I got the card in Aug 2013 and never made payments, I applied for a lot of credit in Oct 2013 and got all 5 cards approved instantly except for 1, for which I then called and got approved.
- Sometime in the last quarter of last year, my score was around 770

- My aggregate limit is 100k+

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 5 missed payments

Anything is possible as they control what is reported to the CRAs, they just hope you are dumb and don't know how it all works. If this happened in 2012 the point hit will not be the same as if it happened today. Send a GW letter to the executive office and ask for forgiveness

Message 2 of 6
koop

Where would I be able to find such information? And does it matter which executive office?

Also, sorry. I made a mistake. This charge occured in Aug 2013 not 2012

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@koop wrote:

Where would I be able to find such information? And does it matter which executive office?

Also, sorry. I made a mistake. This charge occured in Aug 2013 not 2012

Google it, you are going to want the executive office of Barclays Bank USA not HQ in London.

Message 4 of 6
koop

Ok I googled it and looked on Hoovers but am getting 2 different addresses? I also went through a lot of threads on this forum regarding goodwill letters but I'm still confused as to who exactly I should address it to besides the obvious recommendation of the CEO?

Message 5 of 6
abzze
Valued Member

1. The amount of $s don't matter at all. Late on $1 will impact the score same as late on $1000.

2. They can always goodwill away anything. You just have to be persistent.

Link ti GW (goodwill) info:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

1. Send email to executive office. Both if you find 2 addresses.

2. Try and find email id of CEO of the bank and email directly.

Even if they say no at first keep doing it once or twice a month.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.