Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 questions regarding what I can do to clean up specific things on my CRs

tag
PippiLongstockingWannabe
Valued Member

5 questions regarding what I can do to clean up specific things on my CRs

1. Experian is reporting a "former name" that is my mother's ex-husband's name. He's not my father and I have never used his name. Actually makes my skin crawl to see the combination. What is the best way to get this removed and also who do I send it to? A DV to Experian?

2. I'm showing a "release of tax lien" in the public records column. Date filed is Jan 30, 2004 and status date is 8/2004. I've hazy recollections of cleaning up a tax mess in 2004 and paying off old bills. Is this considered a paid tax lien? why is it still a negative hit? Has anyone ever been able to get these off the record? How?

3. If I had any current tax liens, they'd show up as well right?

I already know that I have to send GWs and cross my fingers regarding the late payment reportings on my CRs but there remains one other neg hit that shows up only on Experian for $200 that is medical collections.

4. I've seen this link passed around for checking state SOLs http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20040116b2.asp?caret=8 but I don't see a column for medical collection. Does it fall under one of the four on that page or is it a 5th one that I have to find elsewhere?

5. Assuming that SOL has expired, should I contact OC with a PFD first and only go to the CA if OC refuses to accept even 100% PFD? If not, what should I do and in what order? Also if the SOL has not expired, what if anything should I do differently? I'm perfectly prepared to pay the $200 but want it OFF the CR.

Thanks!! Really pleased to have found this forum which has answered so many questions already and taught me a lot.
5/13/08: EQ: 619 TU: 659 EX: 655
7/20/09: EQ: 647
8/13/09: EQ: 697 TU: 720
7/26/10: BOUGHT MY FIRST HOUSE
10/15/10: EQ: 741
2011: lost my job due to disability
2014: foreclosure but fighting it.
2015: House saved!

2022: zero cards,
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: 5 questions regarding what I can do to clean up specific things on my CRs

I had several tax liens.
Some show up on one report or two, some don't. So don't 'assume'. You need to pull all three reports!!!

To know for sure if it was released, call the contact number or the recorders office or the state or county where it was filed.

If it was released, GET A COPY!!!

I've had a really hard time getting CRA to report these correctly as paid!!!

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

PippiLongstockingWannabe wrote:
1. Experian is reporting a "former name" that is my mother's ex-husband's name. He's not my father and I have never used his name. Actually makes my skin crawl to see the combination. What is the best way to get this removed and also who do I send it to? A DV to Experian?
You can't send a DV to any CRA, but you could send EX (Experian) a simple dispute letter asking for the removal of that former name. You may need to include a copy of your DL and a copy of your Soc Sec card. Send CMRRR. A phone call may resolve that too, but read that some had problems over the phone.

2. I'm showing a "release of tax lien" in the public records column. Date filed is Jan 30, 2004 and status date is 8/2004. I've hazy recollections of cleaning up a tax mess in 2004 and paying off old bills. Is this considered a paid tax lien? why is it still a negative hit? Has anyone ever been able to get these off the record? How?

I think it stays on 10 years after payment. Maybe others can comment.

3. If I had any current tax liens, they'd show up as well right?

Usually, but I have been lucky with judgments.

I already know that I have to send GWs and cross my fingers regarding the late payment reportings on my CRs but there remains one other neg hit that shows up only on Experian for $200 that is medical collections.

4. I've seen this link passed around for checking state SOLs http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20040116b2.asp?caret=8 but I don't see a column for medical collection. Does it fall under one of the four on that page or is it a 5th one that I have to find elsewhere?

5. Assuming that SOL has expired, should I contact OC with a PFD first and only go to the CA if OC refuses to accept even 100% PFD? If not, what should I do and in what order? Also if the SOL has not expired, what if anything should I do differently? I'm perfectly prepared to pay the $200 but want it OFF the CR.

You send a PFD to whoever is reporting. The only reason why people suggest against DVing or PFDing prior to SOL is because you increase your chances of being sued. IMO, if you have the money in hand, it is OK to DV or PFD anytime. Just be willing to pay without a PFD if it ever came to it.

Thanks!! Really pleased to have found this forum which has answered so many questions already and taught me a lot.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as the wrong name.  I just had a sucessful deletion from Experian.

I listed it like this:

Issue #1 My credit report is reporting hunnybunnz123.

I have never applied for credit with the incorrect name.  My name should read Honey Baby.  Please remove hunnybunnz123 from my credit report.

In my case it was my sil.  Her first name was Tanya, mine was Tracey; 
At one time we both had the same address.  And we shared two same creditors.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Child support judgments: Remain seven years from the date the judgment is filed.

Civil and small claim judgments: Remain seven years from the date the judgment is filed.

City, county, state, and federal tax liens: Unpaid tax liens remain 15 years from the filing date. Paid tax liens remain seven years from the paid date of the lien.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.