cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 year old collection account just added to my file

tag
mas109

5 year old collection account just added to my file

I just checked my credit report today and found a new collection account from a doctors office listed on my report.  This states that it was from 2005 and is now being collected through an agency.  I received the one and only phone call I have ever received about this last night. I returned the call and left a message, but as of yet have not heard back from them. I have never received anything in the mail about this.  I have no idea what to do !  Do I pay it, or will that keep it as a negative mark on my report for another 7 years.  It has dropped my credit score which I have been trying to rebuild.  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
GordonShumway
Regular Contributor

Re: 5 year old collection account just added to my file

Welcom to the board.

I assume this is your doctor's bill that is being collected. If not, I would strongly advise you dispute it with the CA.

BTW, if you are unfamiliar with the acronyms used here, please familiar yourself

The first thing you need to check is your DoFD. This governs two seperate issues: SOL and drop off date.

You'll need to dig throught old records or request them (maybe even pay) to have them un-archived from that specific doctor's office.

This board is all about self help. Ask and you shall be answered. Just remember we might have a difference of opinions.

Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
mas109

Thank youSmiley Happy  I have pasted the info I have from the report below.   Would requesting a Pay for Delete do me any good?

ate Reported:05/2010 
Date Assigned:03/2008 
Creditor Classification:Medical/Health Care 
Creditor Name:ORLANDO ORTHOPEDIC CENTER 
Account Number:11XXXX 
Account Owner:Individual Account. 
Original Amount Owned:$133 
Date of 1 st Delinquency:01/2005 
Balance Date:05/2010 
Balance Owned:$133 
Last Payment Date:N/A 
Status Date:05/2010 
Comments:Medical
Message 3 of 8
GordonShumway
Regular Contributor

Can you afford the PFD for the full balance?

It seems as it the OC (the Orlando Orth Ctr.) still holds the account and is reporting it.

I would call them and try to get that resolved ASAP with a written agreement for deletion once the account is paid.

Message 4 of 8
mas109

It shows Orlando Orthopedic but was reported by PHG Financial Recovery Services in the collections section of my report.  I have the letter all typed and ready to send. I am hoping it works, being that I have never heard anything about this in 5 years until now!  I am more than willing to pay as long as they delete.  Im crossing my fingers on this one.

Message 5 of 8
GordonShumway
Regular Contributor

Unless the OC shows a zero balance they still hold the account. The CA is only assigned the account for collection.

You get a double hit becuase both OC and CA can report on the same account.

If the OC still holds the account, and you settle with them, they will pull (have to) the account from the CA. Just make sure that they will also instruct the CA to remove the Collection TL.

Message 6 of 8
mas109

Thank you so much for your advice and feedback.  Much appreciated!

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@GordonShumway wrote:

Unless the OC shows a zero balance they still hold the account. The CA is only assigned the account for collection.

You get a double hit becuase both OC and CA can report on the same account.

If the OC still holds the account, and you settle with them, they will pull (have to) the account from the CA. Just make sure that they will also instruct the CA to remove the Collection TL.

No they don't.  The only thing they have to do is tell the CA it is paid.  You can request they pull it back from the CA, they do not have to.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.