Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 year old medical bill just now being sent to collections *confused*

tag
kjones2011
Established Member

5 year old medical bill just now being sent to collections *confused*

hello all i just recieved a collection letter from procollect concerning a past due  medical bill fo $300 from an emergency room.   I have not been to the emergency room recently....so i was very confused about it......So i called to find out only to find out it was from 5 years ago when i got into a car accident in 2009....I was 19 at this time and under my parents insurance....now i am 25 confused out of my  mind to why  this is now showing up.....my parents and i have not gotten any bills from the hospital over this whole time and just now are finding out about it through a collection company....Please let me know what to do.....I am so annoyed b/c i am just now trying to get my financial situation better and build up  my credit for this to happen out of nowhere....please let  me know if this has happened -_-

Experian 667 Transunion 655 Equifax 623

Walmart $3000 CL, VentureOne $5250 CL Best Buy $2500 CL
Macys $3300-Wells Fargo $4000 David's Bridal $2500 CareCredit $2500 Zales $2000
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 5 year old medical bill just now being sent to collections *confused*

The same thing happened to me a few years ago and it turned out that for the 6 years that I heard nothing the hospital had been going back and forth with the auto insurance company and they decided not to pay that amount.  It sucks that it takes that long for it to get back to you but I would suggest talking to the CA and seeing if you pay it right away if they will not report it to the CRA's.  

Message 2 of 7
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@kjones2011 wrote:

hello all i just recieved a collection letter from procollect concerning a past due  medical bill fo $300 from an emergency room.   I have not been to the emergency room recently....so i was very confused about it......So i called to find out only to find out it was from 5 years ago when i got into a car accident in 2009....I was 19 at this time and under my parents insurance....now i am 25 confused out of my  mind to why  this is now showing up.....my parents and i have not gotten any bills from the hospital over this whole time and just now are finding out about it through a collection company....Please let me know what to do.....I am so annoyed b/c i am just now trying to get my financial situation better and build up  my credit for this to happen out of nowhere....please let  me know if this has happened -_-

Welcome to the forums. Yeah, that's a frustrating situation. For reporting purposes, the CA has to go by the DoFD, or Date of First Delinquincy. They can report at any time during the reporting period, which is based off of that date.

If the debt is valid, I would contact them and let them know that you weren't contacted etc, and see if you can do a PFD to get it off of your credit.

Message 3 of 7
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Call your insurance first and make sure they actually filed it with them.  If they failed to file this claim or it was denied due to timely filing they can NOT bill you.  If they billed the ins and this was your portion then proceed with the other suggested routes.

Message 4 of 7
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Most ins companies only allow providers 1 year to file claims, some even as little as 6mo.  

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shellie wrote:

Call your insurance first and make sure they actually filed it with them.  If they failed to file this claim or it was denied due to timely filing they can NOT bill you.  If they billed the ins and this was your portion then proceed with the other suggested routes.

All CA's that I have talked to told me that filing an insurance claim is something that the doctor’s offices do for you. They are not required to fill any insurance, it is your responsibility.

I don't know if what they are telling me is true, but more than one CA has told that to me.

Message 6 of 7
Shellie
Valued Contributor

It's not the collections agnecy's responsibility to file your ins.  You need to call your insurance.  Who ever you were covered by at the time of the services.  Blue Cross Blue Sheild. Aetna, Cigna etc... 

If the ER didn't file their claim within that ins carriers timely filing period they can not bill you.  

For example: you were covered by BCBS, you have a wreck and get treatment at the ER.  ER doesn't files their claim with BCBS until the 366th and BCBS denies it due to being past the timely filing period, they can't send you a bill.  Or say they didn't file at all because the ER thought their might be at fault liability ins coverage and they thought they would get more money from them (say it wasn't your fault and the other driver had State Farm), they can't send you a bill. THIS IS JUST A HYPOTHETICAL

However, if they did bill your ins and it was applied to deductible and this was your portion.

My point is call your ins carrier and make sure it was filed with them, if it wasn't they can't bill you which means they can't send you to collections.  If that's the case you can get this removed.  If they did bill the ins and this is your portion for whatever reason then you can try PFD with the CA or pay it and GW them.

I hope I haven't confused you!  If I have I'm sorry.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.