Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 point drop- deleted collection re-added

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

50 point drop- deleted collection re-added

Last month ERC sent me a letter agreeing to delete an accout that was pending dispute with EQ. I immediately faxed the letter to EQ. The credit report updated correctly within a couple of days snd they sent a letter saying the disputed item was not found on the credit report. Today there was a 50 point plunge in MyFico. I found this account was added again.

Two questions: Isn't this illegal? I resubmitted the letter. How long will it take for them to receive a file for me to refer to it in my call?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 50 point drop- deleted collection re-added

@Anonymous wrote:
Last month ERC sent me a letter agreeing to delete an accout that was pending dispute with EQ. I immediately faxed the letter to EQ. The credit report updated correctly within a couple of days snd they sent a letter saying the disputed item was not found on the credit report. Today there was a 50 point plunge in MyFico. I found this account was added again.

Two questions: Isn't this illegal? I resubmitted the letter. How long will it take for them to receive a file for me to refer to it in my call?

These kinds of letters should not be sent to the CRA, the CAs have agreements to not delete items once they are paid. What you should do is remind the CA of their agreement and if they dont delete the items themselves you file a BBB complaint for shoddy business practices or sue them outright for breech of contract, what you have in their letter to delete is a contract.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What was the basis for your pending dispute at the time the debt collector voluntarily agreed to its deletion?

They apparently deleted before the CRA received your letter, so the deletion was not done by the CRA as the outcome of your dispute.

Reinsertion of previously deleted subject matter is only controlled if the subject matter was deleted as a result of a lack of verification of its accuracy in a prior dispute.

In such cases, the information can only be reinserted if the furnisher provides a certification of accuracy along with their reporting.  If that were the case, the CRA is reqired to have sent you notice within 5 days of their resinsertion based on receipt of such a pre-certification.

If you did not receive such notice from the CRA, then the furnisher did not provided pre-certification.

The issue then becomes whether your prior dispute was resolved by a holding by the CRA that the accuracy of the collection itslef was disputed and could not be verified.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was a T-Mobile account that was never supposed to be (long story involving them telling me they were a provider in a dead area and me fighting to get out of a contract). ERC was caught in the middle and T-Mobile, according to the letter, instructed ERC to delete. It was removed and now it's back. I called ERC and they said EQ is the one CRA that they have a problem with this. They submitted for expedited deletion and said to call back in a week if it's not deleted.
Message 4 of 5
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

These kinds of letters should not be sent to the CRA, the CAs have agreements to not delete items once they are paid. What you should do is remind the CA of their agreement and if they dont delete the items themselves you file a BBB complaint for shoddy business practices or sue them outright for breech of contract, what you have in their letter to delete is a contract.

This is not exactly entirely correct.  TU allows for agreements where the consumer pays for deletion.  So do the other CRA's.  That is an old tale perpetuated because the CA didn't want to pay for the deletion from the report (they pay to add, they pay to delete.)

In my agreements to PFD, they actually pulled rather quickly from EX, Eq was slower, and TU took a month.  The CA's that didn't want to pay for the deletion, actually had me dispute, and claimed they wouldn't respond, and they didn't.

If a CRA deletes an item, then reapplied it, they must send you a letter of reverification  of the debt within five days.  Dispute again with equifax, and start BBB complaint,  call the CA, tell them the problem, work their end, and start BBB complaint with them if necessary.

This is more than likely a computer glitch with eq's system,  and contacting them again, prior to BBB complaint, will probably take care of it.

Signature needs updating
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.