Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50% settlement offer

tag
Hersheykiss
Valued Member

50% settlement offer

My husband got a 50% settlement offer on a $10K judgement.  Should he settle for that or ask for a lower offer?  How low is too low?  I'd love to offer them $2500 with a paid/satisfied status. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 50% settlement offer

Make the offer, see if they counter.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Make the offer, see if they counter.

+1

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As for subsequent credit reporting, if settled for less, the furnisher has the option to report an additional special comment of "Paid for less" to the consumer's credit file/report.

That comment is always a negative to those who may subsequently pull the consumer's credit report, as it notifies them that, in the past, the consumer did not fully pay the entire debt they incurred. 

While it may be pushing your settlement offer a bit, I would suggest attempting to also get agreement that they wont report that special comment.  Absent that special comment, the debt would look the same in the consumer's credit report as if it was paid in full.

Message 4 of 5
Hersheykiss
Valued Member

RobertEG wrote:

As for subsequent credit reporting, if settled for less, the furnisher has the option to report an additional special comment of "Paid for less" to the consumer's credit file/report.

That comment is always a negative to those who may subsequently pull the consumer's credit report, as it notifies them that, in the past, the consumer did not fully pay the entire debt they incurred. 

While it may be pushing your settlement offer a bit, I would suggest attempting to also get agreement that they wont report that special comment.  Absent that special comment, the debt would look the same in the consumer's credit report as if it was paid in full.

I wrote up the settlement offer and requested that it be marked paid on the credit reports with no further negative remarks.  Hopefully, that will do. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.