Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.5 months. Oh how I've grown!

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

6.5 months. Oh how I've grown!

I was going to do a 6 month update (I'm a little behind so this will have to be a 6.5 month update).  After being embarrassed about my horrible state of credit in March of this year, I decided to get serious about my credit in early June.  I was approved for 2 secured cards (Wells Fargo and Cap1) and I begin rebuild process.  Tried for Walmart card and was denied.  After removing all my collections on my reports and a couple bad accounts as well as some GW late adjustments....Ive come a very long way. 

1st step out of Garden was in early September (6 months after failed March app).  I was approved instantly for AMEX Zync (NPSL) and borderline approved for AMEX Delta (2k).  Then I decided I would app for Walmart and was instantly approved for the Discover version (1.8k).  Not to be stopped there, I was instantly approved for Chase Amazon Visa (2k).  Then one infamous night while watching an LSU game I drapped for my Freedom card.  Got 7-10 day message.  Called for recon and they said I had just recently applied for Amazon card and they didn't like back-to-back apps.  I explained how the Freedom card was the one I really wanted but I felt that the Amazon was an easier card to get my foot in door. 

After some very direct questions, BAM, approved for 1.5k Freedom card (without a HP Smiley Happy )  (all of this was necessary as I had to take out loan to fix damage home due to hurricane Isaak - some good really did come from it.)  Wolf and others tried to get me to go 6 for 6 on app spree but I was done for now as having to Recon the Freedom card was enough to get me back in garden. 

Garden didn't last too long as my second phase of rebuild finally was about to happen.  After months of planning, I was able to get a roommate that helped me join the Mecca of CUs!  I joined NFCU (HP membership) and apped for NFCU Flagship Visa Siggy.  Instant approval for a whopping 25k!!  Most recently, I got my 61 day 3xCLI on AMEX Delta (6k now) and Walmart CLI up to 5.4k.

In 6 months I had gone from horrible credit and not a single credit card to eight (8) credit cards with a total CL of above $40,000!  My EQ has gone up about 130 pts, TU has gone up between 154-188 (depending on if I use MyFICO or TU Version) and my EX has gone up around 160 pts.!  I'll refi in June and do another round of apps and CLI's.  Its been a great 2nd half of this year and looking forward to 2013!

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: 6.5 months. Oh how I've grown!

Well that is one helluva success story for 6....oops I mean 6.5 months! Smiley Wink

Congratulations on your accomplishments and many more to come! 

It makes me wonder how quick I can do something in the next 6 months. 

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 16
sphinx313
Established Contributor

+1 Congratulations on your achievements this year!

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Message 3 of 16
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Congrats Duncan!!!

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 4 of 16
changeisvital
Valued Member

This is awesome encouragement. It can happen quickly!

Starting Score: 495 (12/2012)
Current Score: 520 (01-06-2013)
Goal Score: 680

Message 5 of 16
electra
Established Contributor

Wow!! Super progress! Congrats!  I love reading stories like this. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 16
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Grats Dunc.  How many derogs were you able to remove?  Major vs. Minor?  Obviously amazing progress, seems you've been able to let your credit rebuild and your credit growth work hand in hand, rather than the "Rob Peter to pay Paul" I see a lot of people doing to get more credit products quickly

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 7 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

You've done great Duncan,,   now keep it up and keep helping in here. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 16
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

WOW! Very impressive, informational and inspiring! Thank you for sharing. It makes this daunting road for a lot of us, look less...well, daunting!

I realize that everybody's job/family/financial life is different, but it's great to see all walks of life and their sharing their personal stories.
I love sphinx13's story too!

Message 9 of 16
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Jutz wrote:

Grats Dunc.  How many derogs were you able to remove?  Major vs. Minor?  Obviously amazing progress, seems you've been able to let your credit rebuild and your credit growth work hand in hand, rather than the "Rob Peter to pay Paul" I see a lot of people doing to get more credit products quickly

Two past due accounts for 299 - paid for delete

3 collections for total of 400. PFD

1x30 and1x90 SM lates GW removed

1x60 day late cap1 auto GW removed

Entergy CO. Paid then GW removed

BB&T old neg account - dispute and removed

Discover 6x30 day lates (very old account) - dispute and removed

Added secured cards and gardened

Then added sept cards

And then added NFCU.

edited for spacing -why is spacing correct on iPhone but not on iPad?

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.