Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

63 Point Bump!!!!

tag
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: 63 Point Bump!!!!

Awesome - congrats!  Keep up the great work.

Message 11 of 16
kjel
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone! It's a great feeling turning the tide on the credit score free fall. Although my starting scores are listed in the 540s they actually bottomed out to 517 with the addition of two new collections back in February. 2011 was a miserable year for me all the way around, I had a job offer rescinded the day I was supposed to begin due to a budget dispute with the state, naturally I had already given and completed my two weeks notice with my previous employer. Because of this I was denied unemployment so the only income I had was child support, final pay, and tax refund. About two weeks after my job offer falling through I was diagnosed with renal cell carcinoma while under COBRA insurance which I had paid for 3 months in advance thankfully. I had surgery on Valentine's Day to remove my left kidney and was lucky to have no complications but could not do anything for six weeks afterwards. I had to apply for food stamps and after six weeks I dilligently looked for a new job, any job, and convinced McDonald's to hire me despite being way overqualified and being a former restaurant manager. Through the grace of friends and family I made it through and maintained a roof over my head and food on the table. I did eventually land an excellent job in my field and am back to normal salary range that I was earning before. We were blessed with a beautiful baby girl in January 2012, my older daughter just finished her second year of college debt free, and while my partner was laid off in the middle of all this craziness he's enjoying life as a stay at home dad right now.

What's working for me:

Finished rehabbing my defaulted student loans. The TLs that were the collections accounts for the student loans has been deleted. The original TLs are still there with their lates but the default notation is gone and they are showing transferred, $0 balance.

Two new TLs are showing for the newly rehabbed student loans being reported by the new servicer.

I have paid off $1,000 in credit card debt. I have three unsecured cards of $500, $500, $750 credit limits. The two $500 cards now have a $0 balance and I owe about $500 on the remaining card which I am dilligently paying down and this is the card I will maintain at 9% util. I've requested CLIs for all three since I've had them for a few years with no CLI on the $500 cards, request is pending.

I have also paid off two collections accounts. While I am probably not getting any love score wise from them and my PFD requests were denied repeatedly, they are paid and they can't come after me Smiley Happy I send GW letters every two weeks.

To go:

Deal with one remaining collection of $429 (valid, just need some scratch to pay). Will offer PFD, if refused then I will just pay it and send GW.

One charge off with Merrick Bank. $1449 on an original balance of $750. This item will be the last one I deal with, probably towards the end of the year. I want to pay enough on it that it's either deleted (long shot) or that there is no 1099 reported.

General Financial Health:

Paying all bills on time, every time-whether they report or not.

Contributing to my 401K

Saving a token $50 every paycheck

Working through some of my partner's credit issues as we can spare the $

Our family has gotten really serious about managing our household spending....couponing, taking our lunch to work, cooking dinner 6 nights a week, etc.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 12 of 16
Succeedin2
Established Member

@KJEL Congrats on the 63 point jump I had a 50 point jump on my T/ U this week so I can imagine how you felt! We are obviously trying to do all the right things.
Message 13 of 16
blunderer
Established Contributor

Wow!  You've overcome a lot in a short period of time. Good for you.

Congratulations on the point increase on TU. 

It has always amazed me to see TU/EX scores continually climb while EQ seem to ration out points like they're a rare gem or something.  I was once told by a lender that EQ stinginess with increasing scores has to do with whether or not you purchase their product(s).

NOTE:  Before anyone goes an a rampage about EQ, the above statement was told to me not something I know for sure.  I just find it curious that like kjel there have been many other cases where TU/EX score increased drastically but only increased a few points for EQ with credit files showing the same info in some instances.

Message 14 of 16
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!!

Starting Score:
August Equifax 558 TU 600 EX 570
Current Score: Equifax FICO 642 TU FICO662 EX 651 (credit.com) 06/21/2013
Goal Score: 720 All Across

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 16
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Now that's a serious bump!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.