cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

654 EQ now. What should I expect within the next months and what to do to help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

654 EQ now. What should I expect within the next months and what to do to help?

Hi all,

Here is my situation. I had a BofA $1000 card that I took over the limit in 2006. It was charged off in Dec 2006. After that I lived cash-only and I did not worry about my credit. I left the US in 2009 and I did not think I would come back. Anyway, I am back. My TU report said that the BofA charge-off ($450 unpaid) will fall off the report in April 2012 (for some reason it is not 7 years, but hey I guess I got lucky). Experian says it will fall off in April 2013.

My score went up from high 500s to ca. 650 (654 on EQ and 647 on TU) after I came back to the US and started paying utility bills and I managed to get a $500 limit credit card from Capital one. I tried to get proper cards from Chase and Capital one, but I was denied. The reason given was that I had a negative information in my report (which I guess is the charge off). Two weeks ago I got Macy's store card which just showed up in my report.

I am keeping the limit of Capital one well below 30%.

The issue is that my score just stopped around 650 and it has been there for the last 3 months.

My question is: what should I expect in the next months and is tere anything I can do to improve my score? I will leave the charge-off alone since it will fall off TU in a month or so. What else can I do?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: 654 EQ now. What should I expect within the next months and what to do to help?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

Here is my situation. I had a BofA $1000 card that I took over the limit in 2006. It was charged off in Dec 2006. After that I lived cash-only and I did not worry about my credit. I left the US in 2009 and I did not think I would come back. Anyway, I am back. My TU report said that the BofA charge-off ($450 unpaid) will fall off the report in April 2012 (for some reason it is not 7 years, but hey I guess I got lucky). Experian says it will fall off in April 2013.

My score went up from high 500s to ca. 650 (654 on EQ and 647 on TU) after I came back to the US and started paying utility bills and I managed to get a $500 limit credit card from Capital one. I tried to get proper cards from Chase and Capital one, but I was denied. The reason given was that I had a negative information in my report (which I guess is the charge off). Two weeks ago I got Macy's store card which just showed up in my report.

I am keeping the limit of Capital one well below 30%.

The issue is that my score just stopped around 650 and it has been there for the last 3 months.

My question is: what should I expect in the next months and is tere anything I can do to improve my score? I will leave the charge-off alone since it will fall off TU in a month or so. What else can I do?

Thanks!

Well, you need those INQs from the denied cards to age..

Your AAoA went down with the Macy's card, so that will have to age some..

But your util at 30% is way too high for FICO optimum scoring... if you bring it under 9% you will see another point boost.

If you drop your uitl to 9 percent, let those accounts and inqs age a little, and get that charge off removed in a month, you will cruise up fast

-scott

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 654 EQ now. What should I expect within the next months and what to do to help?

Thanks Scott,

What are we talking about though? If I take the utilization to 5% next month and keep it there how long do you think it would take for me to go to 700?

Also, assuming the charge-off actually falls off TU report which banks should I try for a credit card with a real limit? I live in Chicago.

Cheers

Message 3 of 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Scott,

What are we talking about though? If I take the utilization to 5% next month and keep it there how long do you think it would take for me to go to 700?

Also, assuming the charge-off actually falls off TU report which banks should I try for a credit card with a real limit? I live in Chicago.

Cheers

Everyones situation is completely different.. so it is hard to say how long it will take to get to 700..

Both of your credit accounts are pretty new.. I would let them age a little before trying for more credit..

If I were you, I would keep those two cards aging, to a year.. with no negatives, and a low UTIL, you should see a good credit score for your situation, but keep in mind so much of credit scoring is formulamatic, and everyone is different.. I would wait a year before apping for a new card, but that is just my opinion..

I have a 722, and I have 5 negative entries still on my credit.. but I have no lates on any of my tradelines, I have a 6+ year AAoA, and I have a great debt to credit ratio on my cards.. you could have no negatives and still not get as high as I am...

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.