Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

670 to 550...so very very mad

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

670 to 550...so very very mad

So long story short, my wife's exhusband destroyed her credit and we have spent the last 7 years repairing it. All the baddies were gone and we had 7 established tradelines (5 CCs, 2 car loans) with perfect payment histories. We had gotten her up to 670 (utilization was a little higher than we wanted but we were planning on paying it off in March) and then the bomb hit.

The mortgage that she has with her ex-husband went 30 days past due in January. So before you start, I know that she should have forced him into a refinance, that it should have been laid out in the divorce degree...blah...blah..blah...but it wasn't. Not smart on her part but nothing we can do about it now other than to try to go back to court.

Anyway, we called the bank and I offered to the pay the thing (which makes my blood boil) if they will take it off of her credit. They were very sympathetic and said that if we paid it then we could dispute it and "go from there". That doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence and if I'm going to layout $1800 to this lowlife then I at least want to get the gain of having her credit back. Plus, whose to say that we won't be right back here next month.

Any advice? Has anyone gone through anything similar?  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 670 to 550...so very very mad

Don't pay it.  The Ex will just continue to play you each month, and that will add up.  Take that $1,800 and give it to an Attorney and take him back to Court.  You want the Court to force a refinance (or have the Wife's name taken off the Mortgage).  Anything less is playing with fire.

Message 2 of 5
rayandsuebrown
Established Member

I am sorry, but I agree, back to court in a jiffy!

Starting Score: 438
Current Score: 563
Goal Score: 620

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Fico challenge is based on Equifax and Trans union score is 532
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having it in writing from the court that the EX must refinance or sale the property is great and all, but that will do nothing in the mean time to stop the loan from being reported delinquent if future payments are missed. Smiley Sad Push to have property sold if possible and pay loan in full. Not sure the chances of him being qualified for a refi exist with a recent 30 day late.

Message 4 of 5
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Ask the bank to change the 30day late to NR (not reported)for the month of jan 2011, the bank can choose to do so, if they wish.

I would suggest your wife to go to the bank in person if possible, if not then by phone.

Also have your wife check every month to make sure the mortgage was paid by him, if not then by her.

And as said before, contact an attorney ASAP and push to have the house sold. 

On this valentines day, try to not let this situation come between you and your wife.

Show her ex that she has moved on, with someone better then him.LOL

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.