Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 Year drop off?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

7 Year drop off?

I have read several posts from people concerning the seven year drop off. Everyone counting down the months until that day arrives. My question is this; do I have to write a letter to the different agencies to request this to happen? Most of what I read here says no, it’s automatic. I have had a few people, in the past, tell me otherwise. I even had consumer credit counselors give me a prefab letter to start sending out to the big three to get my older, seven years plus, debts removed. Please, for the love of all creatures big and small, will someone give me the DL on this? I would like to know if I need to invest in a box of envelopes and a book of stamps.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: 7 Year drop off?

Normally when the reporting period is expired, the CRA automatically delete the accounts. There are a few instances when they may not, due to over sight or other reasons. If this happens dispute as being too old to report.

On the up side, many times they will remove items several months before the reporting period has expired.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information! I guess now I have to get off my butt and pull my CR. This sounds bad but due to my divorce, 40 bucks to pull my CR is a lot of money right now. I have a good idea of what’s on it, I just don’t know what the full extant of the damage that my ex-wife inflicted upon me. Is there a place that I can pull one for free? Will this include all 3 agencies?
Message 3 of 6
makeynik
Regular Contributor

Did you already pull your free credit report? I think it is annualcreditreport.com, but I might be wrong...
6/30/08 TU 441 EQ 425 EX 513
8/01/08 TU 499 EQ 488 EX 489
8/23/08 EQ 556
9/04/08 EQ 567
11/14/08 TU 531, EQ 582, EX 509
12/29/08 EQ 620 (yea!) EX 546 TU 555
1/17/2009 TU 568 EQ 620 EX 584, 4/15/09 TU 506, EQ 612
5/24/09 TU 558, EQ 646
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Federal law allows you one free report from each CRA, every 12 months.

Some states have laws that entitle you to another free report or discounted reports.

Also, under certain other conditions(unemployed and plan to look for work, recently received adverse action due to CR, etc) you are entitled to free reports.

For your annual reports under federal law, go here.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks once again guys. Gonna pull and print now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.