cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 year overdraft

tag
latexyankee

7 year overdraft

I posted this in the General section and got no responses so If I'm out of line I apologize to the mods in advance.

A certain First Division/Winchester group is calling since last week about $2100 in overdraft fee's. Quick backstory

I just started to get proactive about my credit a few months ago, pulled my reports and saw numerous things about to hit their 7 year mark over this summer. I had several from US bank and I bekieve this is one of those issues.

There is no trace of this on my CR as of today. I've looked at EQ and EX. The original offence date they are stating is 8/15/2006. They also said they had sent multiple letters in July stating that a judgment was inevitable.

I'm not asking for a way out, if it's my debt I will legally find a time and method to work it out. I just set up payments on several other debts so this is a real kick in the ass. If it's not reporting is it OK to blow this off for awhile? Was their letters in July a last desperation attempt to receive payment before it fell off my CR? I have requested a report from Chexsystems to see if I'm in trouble there, but I have an open checking account with PNC for the last 4 years.

Any advice on what to do with this as of now? They are threatening serious action within a matter of weeks, can they still file judgment?

Here is a copy verbatim:

June 28, 2013

The above account has been referred to our office to collect a debt from US Bank/ Overdraft in a prelegal status. Please be advised that our collection efforts are the last step before this account will be
closed and recommended for litigation to obtain a judgment against you.
This does not alter or amend your validation rights as described below:
We May also report this to the I.R.S. as Debt Cancellation Income under I.R.S. Reg. 1.61-12 if
payment is not received.
Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of
the debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt to be valid. If you notify this office
in writing within 3 days of receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt or any
portion, thereof, this office will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment and mail you
a copy of such judgment or verification. If you request this office in writing within 30 days after
receiving this notice, this office will provide you with the name and address of the original creditor,
if different from the current creditor.
We accept these forms of payment: Visa, MasterCard, and Discover Card.
Upon receipt of your payment, you will be provided with a letter releasing you of all liabilities in
regards to this debt. We will also update the three major credit reporting bureaus as PAID IN
FULL.
Please call our office to confirm receipt of this communication. I can be reached toll free at (866)
531-4981, I look forward to speaking with you.

Message 4 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
latexyankee

Help with 7 year old overdraft fees

A certain First Division/Winchester group is calling since last week about $2100 in overdraft fee's. Quick backstory

I just started to get proactive about my credit a few months ago, pulled my reports and saw numerous things about to hit their 7 year mark over this summer. I had several from US bank and I bekieve this is one of those issues.

There is no trace of this on my CR as of today. I've looked at EQ and EX. The original offence date they are stating is 8/15/2006. They also said they had sent multiple letters in july stating that a judgement was inevitable.

I'm not asking for a way out, if it's my debt I will legally find a time and method to work it out. I just set up payments on several other debts so this is a real kick in the ass. If it's not reporting is it ok to blow this off for awhile? Was their letters in july a last desperation attempt to recieve payment before it fell off my CR? I have requested a report from Chexsystems to see if I'm in trouble there, but I have an open checking account with PNC for the last 4 years.

Any advice on what to do with this as of now? They are threatening serious action within a matter of weeks, can they still file judgement?

Message 1 of 17
latexyankee

Re: Help with 7 year old overdraft fees

Here is copy of the letter they sent by email originally dated in June......

June 28, 2013

The above account has been referred to our office to collect a debt from US Bank/ Overdraft in a prelegal status. Please be advised that our collection efforts are the last step before this account will be
We May also report this to the I.R.S. as Debt Cancellation Income under I.R.S. Reg. 1.61-12 if
payment is not received.
Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of
the debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt to be valid. If you notify this office
in writing within 3 days of receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt or any
portion, thereof, this office will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment and mail you
a copy of such judgment or verification. If you request this office in writing within 30 days after
receiving this notice, this office will provide you with the name and address of the original creditor,
Upon receipt of your payment, you will be provided with a letter releasing you of all liabilities in
regards to this debt. We will also update the three major credit reporting bureaus as PAID IN
FULL.
Please call our office to confirm receipt of this communication. I can be reached toll free at (866)

Message 2 of 17
latexyankee

Here is copy of the letter they sent by email originally...

June 28, 2013

payment is not received.
FULL.

Message 3 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 7 year overdraft

Even if the 7-7.5 yr CRTP expired, they can still collect on it forever. Per suing, it depends on your state's SOL. Likely it expired, but in some states it can still be pursued. If you do end up paying it, be sure to pay it in one payment and PIF, or settle and get that in writing. In some states, SOL can restart with a partial payment.

Message 5 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: 7 year overdraft

There are two possible adverse reportings that could now be made to your credit file.

The first is the ovedraft itself.  The structure of FCRA 605(a) is that it lists certain adverse items that have their own, peculiar credit report exclusion dates.

Any adverse item that is not specifically identified in one of the subsections is included under the catch-all subsection 605(a)(5).which have an exlusion date of 7 years from the date of occurence of the adverse item.  An overdraft falls under that 7 year period.

The second is the fact of their collection authority on the debt, which has its own, separate exclusion date of 7 years plus 180 days from the date of first delinquency with the creditor

Thus, with a date of overdraft of 8/2006, any reporting of the overdraft itself would become excluded after 8/2013, which has already expired.

If they report their authorized collection on the debt, the CR exclusion period of that reporting would be no later than after 2/2014.  That would explain their lack of reporting their collection, as it would become excluded not later than 5 months from now, and most likely the CRA would exclude sooner.  Not  a major concern.....

If your state statute of limittions has expired, and they are aware of that fact, then they may already have violated the FDCPA by threatening legal action.

There is an extensive body of federal case law that holds that knowledge of expiration of SOL gives rise to a violation of the FDCPA for any threat or bringing of a legal action.  I would carefully review your state statute of limitations on the type of debt, and if clearly expired, send them immediate notice of that fact, as that might serve as future basis for violation of the FDCPA based on actual knowledge of expired SOL if they persist in such threats.

Even if SOL has not expired and the worst-case scenario occurs, wherein they bring legal action, you can always simply send them full payment prior to trial.

A judgment can only occur if it proceeds to trial and the court finds in their favor.  A plaintiff does not enter a judgment, they file an action that lead to trial,and only the court can award a judgment.

I would not be totally intimidated by their legal threats.......

Message 6 of 17
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: Here is copy of the letter they sent by email originally...

@latexyankee wrote:

June 28, 2013

payment is not received.
FULL.

It's a little late to send the DV now. What's the SOL in your state or what state do you live in?

Message 7 of 17
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

If they are saying they would cancel the debt and report to the IRS if a payment isn't received then they would they bother taking you to court? If the debt is cancelled then its cancelled. Plain and simple. The only thing you would worry about in that instance is a 1099 next year.

What state are you in?

Also, the part about writing the office and obtaining verification is very poorly written. At least to me.

Idk I'm sure someone else will chime in but the way this thing is worded doesnt seem right to me.
Message 8 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Kozmo wrote:
If they are saying they would cancel the debt and report to the IRS if a payment isn't received then they would they bother taking you to court? If the debt is cancelled then its cancelled. Plain and simple. The only thing you would worry about in that instance is a 1099 next year.

What state are you in?

Also, the part about writing the office and obtaining verification is very poorly written. At least to me.

Idk I'm sure someone else will chime in but the way this thing is worded doesnt seem right to me.

When you say original offense date, what do you mean?  If the DoFD of the account is Aug 2006, it would have been 7 years in Aug 2013.

You really need to know the DoFD of this account.

I do agree that if they cancell/forgive the debt with a 1099-C they will not be able to get a judgment.  It would be hard to do that when nothing was owed.

Also you need to know your state SOL of this type of debt which is probably written contract since it appears to be a bank overdraft.  They may be threatening a lawsuit where they can't if the SOL has expired.

The part about asking for validation of the debt is exactly as it should be written.  It follows what the FDCPA requires them to say.  Does it say anywhere on the letter that "This is an attempt to collect a debt."

Message 9 of 17
latexyankee

Thanks for the replies....

I am in Ohio, I thought I read somewhere that it was 10 years for bank overdrafts but I may be wrong. It is still hard for me to understand certain terminology on these sites.

The DOFD as far as I know would be Aug 2006.

I am wondering what to do in my next step, and why is this not on my CR's if it is still in collections?

Please advise

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.