cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 years and record is still on my credit report?

tag
jarablue
Established Member

7 years and record is still on my credit report?

I have acconts that are stil showing up on my credit report that are showing dates past 7 years.

Date Opened: 
04/2003 04/2003 04/2003 
Balance Date: 
03/2006 03/2006 

03/2006 

Date Opened: 
11/2004 11/2004 11/2004 
Balance Date: 
09/2005 09/2005 09/2005 

Is there a reason that these are not dropping off?

Thanks for the help Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
monieleazenby
Established Member

Re: 7 years and record is still on my credit report?

I would dispute them with the CB hope that helps.

Monie

Starting Score: 591
Current Score: 480
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
jarablue
Established Member

I would assume I need to dispute it with all 3 CB?  Am I missing something or am I right by those dates they should be removed?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are you talking about? Negatives? Should drop after seven years. Positives may report up to ten years.
Message 4 of 9
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Negative items can report up to 7.5 years. like others have said..positives will stay up to 10. You don't even have to dispute them. usually you can call the CRAs and bring it to their attention and they'll delete them straight away. Some things just slip through the cracks sometimes. as much as we want them to be perfect...they're not. if that were the case there would be no need for myFICO. If you have a copy of your CR with report number give em a call. don't remove positives off of your CR though.
Message 5 of 9
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

this has often confused me. On my credit report it list date reported, date assigned, date of first delinquency, .....What date is it scheduled to be removed? 

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Current FICO Scores: 783 (EX) | 766 (EQ) | 764 (TU)
Message 6 of 9
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

The date of first delinquency marks the point in which you start counting your 7 years plus 180 days. the date opened has more to do with your average age if accounts..or AAoA. hope this helps.
Message 7 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@jarablue wrote:

I have acconts that are stil showing up on my credit report that are showing dates past 7 years.

Date Opened: 
04/2003 04/2003 04/2003 
Balance Date: 
03/2006 03/2006 

03/2006 

Date Opened: 
11/2004 11/2004 11/2004 
Balance Date: 
09/2005 09/2005 09/2005 

Is there a reason that these are not dropping off?

Thanks for the help Smiley Happy

First off, not enough information to determine the status of the accounts.  Are they positive?  Negative?  Positive accounts will stay on your CR for about 10 years once they are paid/closed.  Negatives invoke the 7 year DoFD rule.  These do show a balance date which would mean that they have not been updated in quite some time, so I'm assuming these are positives that are adding to your AAoA.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

OC accounts themselves do not become excluded from your credit report based on any time period under the FCRA.

OC accounts can become excluded in one of two ways.  Either the credtior voluntarily deletes the account, or the account has been closed for approx 10 years, and the CRA removes them under their houseclearing policy.

The FCRA requires exclusion of individual adverse items reported under an OC account.

Monthy delinquencies must be excluded no later than 7 years from their individual dates of delinquency.  They do not all become excluded based on the DOFD.

DOFD only relates to a charge-off or colletion referral reported by an OC, and requires their exclusion no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.