cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 year old utility account; 6.5 year old CA -- not mine -- what should I do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

8 year old utility account; 6.5 year old CA -- not mine -- what should I do?

So, I've tried just flat-out disputing. The SSN doesn't match mine, but is close.

I lived in another state at the time, and I do have proof from various documents, but they are asking for a previous utility bill (I was in a duplex, and they weren't in my name, don't even have landlord's info anymore) or a bank statement (I was with Washington Mutual, they no longer exist, and I don't have statements from when I was 22).

I put together a timeline of documents that show I was in Washington during the time in question, but it feels very invasive to send these to a utility company I have no business having a connection to. They also want to see that my SSN is different than the one they have, by seeing the full 8 digits. So basically I have driving record from WA, Insurance coverage document, a flight itinerary, my current DL and last year's W2.

I'm insanely uncomfortable with all of this. It is scheduled to fall off my reports in December, it's only on EX. The others removed it due to the non-match of SSNs. 

Do I have any other options here?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 8 year old utility account; 6.5 year old CA -- not mine -- what should I do?

If it's supposed to fall off in December, request an Early Exclusion and be done with it. 

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 8 year old utility account; 6.5 year old CA -- not mine -- what should I do?

@Anonymous wrote:

If it's supposed to fall off in December, request an Early Exclusion and be done with it. 

I tried that already, they said no earlier than September and the guy I talked to was rude and forced me into a fraud dispute adding a fraud alert to my reports. 

I feel more comfortable sending the CRA these documents than the utility company, do you think that's a fair option?

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aduke1122 wrote:
Man they are making this way way more complicated than needed. Also have you tried addressing the situation at hand with a CEO or someone with high ranking in the company , my sister had a very similar exp ...a family member opened utilities in her name while she lived in another state. She tried to explain to them it wasn't her but they wanted lease docs from 7 years ago which she didn't have bc they are military and moved often back then. Anyway she paid the charge bc it was updating every mth so she paid it and contacted the CEO of the company and explined what happened and how his employees were treating her. Anyways he had his secretary call her back to tell her he would have it deleted from her credit files.

Don't know if you could get the same outcome but it definitely would not hurt to go that route esp after exhausting all the normal ones.

I'll see if I can get an exec's email - I don't want to pay this one because it is for $500 and I am not paying that much for a debt I didn't incur. I've never even had a utility bill that exceeded $100, so it's impossible for me to imagine myself paying for whatever enormous amount of electricity this person was using and can't even wrap my mind around how a bill gets to be that large. 

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent an email to the EO office, I'm not sure if it was too harsh now that I'm rereading it.

-------

To whom it may concern -

RE: acct #

I recently was made aware that fraud occurred using my name and birthday. The SSN they are using isn't mine, but is a partial match, and the address is one I've never lived at. 

I disputed the accounts with the CRAs, due to the fact that when I call your customer service department they cannot find a utility account matching my information. Your dispute department verifies the account is mine with the CRAs. I finally was able to get in touch with someone in a department who would discuss the account with me, even though I was unable to verify all of the information on the account. They put in a fraud investigation.

Fast-forward to the documentation that this department is asking me for:

They want an old utility bill and a bank statement proving I lived in ** at the time, a copy of my current DL to prove my identity and a copy of my SS card or a W2 to prove my social security number does not match.

First of all, this was 7-8 years ago. I didn't keep good records when I was 22, and ** doesn't exist anymore. I don't have any statements from before my late 20's when I realized it was important to keep these documents. I lived in a duplex with family and the utilities were in our landlord's name.

I put together a bunch of documents I could find from 2008-2010 - my driving record from **; insurance documents from **; a flight itinerary; and for my current information: my W2 from 2015; and my current DL. However, I don't feel comfortable sending these documents to your company. I was not ever a customer and my privacy is being invaded over an account that doesn't even match my personal information. I've never had a driver's license in TX (I called to make sure the fraud didn't go that far) and the SSN on this account does not match mine (I don't know what the listed SSN is, only that the last 4 match mine, but the full does not match).

I have never signed an agreement to my right to privacy with your company and given that I just found out that someone attempted to steal my identity, I'm not exactly jumping at the idea of sending my personal data to ANYONE I have no business with or any trust in.

I want to move on from this and continue to take care of my own financial issues, not someone else's. This is one of the last items on my reports that doesn't belong to me and I would really appreciate it if it was removed. 

Thank you for your time,
Lowkeyorca
phone.number
Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I sent an email to the EO office, I'm not sure if it was too harsh now that I'm rereading it.

-------

To whom it may concern -

I recently was made aware that fraud occurred using my name and birthday. The SSN they are using isn't mine, but is a partial match, and the address is one I've never lived at. 

I disputed the accounts with the CRAs, due to the fact that when I call your customer service department they cannot find a utility account matching my information. Your dispute department verifies the account is mine with the CRAs. I finally was able to get in touch with someone in a department who would discuss the account with me, even though I was unable to verify all of the information on the account. They put in a fraud investigation.

They want an old utility bill and a bank statement proving I lived in ** at the time, a copy of my current DL to prove my identity and a copy of my SS card or a W2 to prove my social security number does not match.

First of all, this was 7-8 years ago. I didn't keep good records when I was 22, and ** doesn't exist anymore. I don't have any statements from before my late 20's when I realized it was important to keep these documents. I lived in a duplex with family and the utilities were in our landlord's name.

I put together a bunch of documents I could find from 2008-2010 - my driving record from **; insurance documents from **; a flight itinerary; and for my current information: my W2 from 2015; and my current DL. However, I don't feel comfortable sending these documents to your company. I was not ever a customer and my privacy is being invaded over an account that doesn't even match my personal information. I've never had a driver's license in TX (I called to make sure the fraud didn't go that far) and the SSN on this account does not match mine (I don't know what the listed SSN is, only that the last 4 match mine, but the full does not match).

I have never signed an agreement to my right to privacy with your company and given that I just found out that someone attempted to steal my identity, I'm not exactly jumping at the idea of sending my personal data to ANYONE I have no business with or any trust in.

I want to move on from this and continue to take care of my own financial issues, not someone else's. This is one of the last items on my reports that doesn't belong to me and I would really appreciate it if it was removed. 

Thank you for your time,
Lowkeyorca
phone.number

If you believe it to be fraud (or ID Theft), then use FCRA 605B to get it removed. You will not have to deal with the OC or CA at all, just the CRA's.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll need to fill out a police report.
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

-------

To whom it may concern -

Thank you for your time,
Lowkeyorca
phone.number

If you believe it to be fraud (or ID Theft), then use FCRA 605B to get it removed. You will not have to deal with the OC or CA at all, just the CRA's.

It's not local Smiley Sad The police dept here said you need to do it where the theft occured. Is that not true?

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

If that's the case go on the town and state of that PD and down load a police report, fill it out and send it back to them via email and or certified mail return receipt. And where you live now should investigate.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

-------

To whom it may concern -

Thank you for your time,
Lowkeyorca
phone.number

It's not local Smiley Sad The police dept here said you need to do it where the theft occured. Is that not true?

No, it is not true. You need to explain to them CLEARLY that you do not require them to investigate anything, you only need them to take a report for administrative purposes in order to clear this from your credit reports. Print out FCRA 605B and show them if you need to.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.