Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

New Visitor
0 Kudos

9 derogatory marks

So I finally have my payment history going back up to 99%. Getting my 3 cc under 30% almost there. I'm lacking long term credit, only two years old. And then the derogs, almost all are from the same agency. Medical bills and they will all be at least two years old in September. From what I read the agency is legit but also won't accept any bargaining or anything. Pay them in full and they take off. What should my course of action? Should I pay them off or just focus on my credit moving forward. I want to try to buy a house in a year or two? Thanks in advance
New Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: 9 derogatory marks

Medical bills are the only major thing I have on my reports, too. They were for my kids for ER bills. I have literally zero hope of paying them. I don't think I'd even qualify for any kind of charity help since they're already in collections. Not sure what to do. They are all fairly recent (past 4 years) so they won't drop off anytime soon.

06/12/2017 FICOs: TU: 542 EX: 538 EQ: 528
07/19/2017 FICOs: TU: 564 EX: 564 EQ: 559
08/04/2017 FICOs: TU: 577 EX: 597 EQ: ???
Fingerhut: $500 | B of A 99/500: $500 | Discover It Secured: $200 | SimplyBe: $200 ($400) | NY&C: $250 | JDW: $200 ($300) | VS: $350
New Visitor
0 Kudos

Just Tara I'm wondering if it's better to just move on from them. Not pay and just focus on what u can make look good like the other factors. I was just hoping someone would have advise about rather to try to pay them one by one every so often of just worry about building your future credit i.e secured credit card, good payment status everything else but the collections part!
Established Member

I have 28 medical bills in collections....ranging in age from 1 year (I could kick myself for these ones, because I was already rebuilding when they happened and I shouldn't have let them go) to almost 7 years. My focus is on not letting any new medical bills occur and also on building credit with CCs. I started over 2 years ago with a couple secured cards, and since then I've managed to get one or two unsecured cards. So my goal is being responsible from here on out. I've never been late on any payments on my CCs and past loans, so my payment history is 100% (not including the collections obviously) and I'm focused on keeping it that way. 

IMO, tackling a large number of medical bills in collections isn't worth it (unless you can afford to pay them all in full). Unless they happen to sue (I'm not sure how they decide whether or not to sue but I've never had them do anything) I'd just let them sit and fall off. It sucks waiting for them to go away, but in my situation I think it's probably the best. Your mileage may vary. 

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne
Highlighted
New Visitor
0 Kudos

Gdale,

Thanks for the response any chance what charity care requirements are. I'm currently a solo bread winner so 2 adults and our child are under using my income. Will prob clear $45k maybe a little less? Do u think I would qualify? Collection agency is kinda a jerk to work with. They don't accept partials or anything. Hospital is a catholic hospital that I don't think will take back the debt and also it's over 2 years old would charity care stil apply? Also would leaving threm on their snd just focusing on my current credit just be a better option? thanks for the response and look forward to the answer.

Edizzle wrote:
Gdale,

Thanks for the response any chance what charity care requirements are. I'm currently a solo bread winner so 2 adults and our child are under using my income. Will prob clear $45k maybe a little less? Do u think I would qualify? Collection agency is kinda a jerk to work with. They don't accept partials or anything. Hospital is a catholic hospital that I don't think will take back the debt and also it's over 2 years old would charity care stil apply? Also would leaving threm on their snd just focusing on my current credit just be a better option? thanks for the response and look forward to the answer.

Charity care is different in every locality, some dont have it at all. Requirements will be different as well so I cannot say if you would or would not qualify only the OC will be able to review your case and financial ability. Some carry back in time some dont so again its dependent on the locality. You can choose not to deal with them at this point its up to you and as long as the are not updating monthly they will appear to age back in time.

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne
New Visitor
0 Kudos

They all do report monthly same company. I can probably get like 6 off pretty easy. Small amounts but 3 are big amounts which I can't pay. They are over 2 years old but they do report. Would paying the 6 be worth oaying off? Would it lower or increase my score at all and how do I just pay off those individually without dealing with the big 3? Thanks again

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.