cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9 year old unpaid judgment now receiving collections letters?

tag
Quick32
New Contributor

Re: 9 year old unpaid judgment now receiving collections letters?

I'm employed and have excellent credit because these judgments are no longer on there. I have a fico above 750 and got a no interest loan on my 2013 Camry. Other than the car I don't have much else. A furniture credit line that's paid off... $600 on a exercise equipment card that will be paid off next check, a Kohl's and Capital one card with no balance. I'm renting because these judgments need to be paid before getting a mortgage. Garnishment is a possibility...not sure if I'm a BK candidate? The midland judgment is over 16k now but I don't have much debt other than my car. I'm in South Dakota...
Message 11 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were the judgements obtains in SD as well? Kinda curious why they would get the judgements and then not bother to try to collect. Every judgment creditor I've had has slapped a garnishment on me within 30 days of the judgement... Maybe I'm just unlucky that way.

You certainly would not look like a BK candidate - thats what makes me wonder why no attempts to collect.

Message 12 of 41
Quick32
New Contributor

The one I'm trying to settle now was first issued in California... I have paperwork on it from 2005 and was transferred here in 2006. The larger one shows issued in SD in 2006 but the credit card is also from when I was in California so it may have also been transferred. Cavalry has been the more aggressive one checking my credit a few times per year. Midland checked mine earlier this year but didn't last year and I haven't got a collections letter from them. I know our neighbor Minnesota sued midland for to robosigning.
Message 13 of 41
Quick32
New Contributor

A foreign judgment is only enforceable for 10 years correct? That could be why they're getting more aggressive. I think it's best to settle with Cavalry now since we have been in contact. Maybe I should wait the Midland one out? I don't even know who owns that one but I think next April is 10 years. Breit law office no longer has it on file because Mildnad thinks I still live in California...weird.

Message 14 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure on that, reasearch SD state laws and you should be able to find out.

Message 15 of 41
Quick32
New Contributor

Pretty sure gdale said foreign judgments are 10 years

Message 16 of 41
Quick32
New Contributor

I'm trying to write a sample letter but can't figure out what to say.

Message 17 of 41
Quick32
New Contributor

My first offer was 15% then i went to 50%. The lawyer was at 71% before we hung up but said he will submit 70% or higher. I called the creditor but they won't deal with me.

Message 18 of 41
Quick32
New Contributor

So do I just give in and settle for the 71% or do I play hardball and keep offering a little more each time? It's tough to type a letter or deal with these people because I don't feel I should have to pay all that interest.

Message 19 of 41
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Quick32 wrote:

So do I just give in and settle for the 71% or do I play hardball and keep offering a little more each time? It's tough to type a letter or deal with these people because I don't feel I should have to pay all that interest.

I would make one more counter and if they wont budge then settle it, since they have the judgment they dont have to give you any discount at all. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.