Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A 4-pt drop on Equifax for Updated Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A 4-pt drop on Equifax for Updated Account

There was a four point drop on my Equifax. Chase updated my balance(which went DOWN). This is one of my revolving payments(auto loan). Why would the balance dropping for paying on time make my score go down?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A 4-pt drop on Equifax for Updated Account

Keep in mind that your score can fluctuate monthly on any or all CRA's. With it being only 4 points - I would say you have nothing to worry about. I remember when I was rebuilding my credit, I saw it go up and down for a while. Nothing big, from a couple of points to 6 or 8 points. It leveled out after time.

Here's one - When I sold my house and paid it off back in January 2014, I lost between 10-12 points on all three bureaus. That's 30 - 36 points for being a great paying customer. You would think since the balance dropped to zero it would have went up - not in the credit world. lol

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto loans are not revolving, they are installments. Balance changes on an installment account does not affecr scoring except when it goes below 50%

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Auto loans are not revolving, they are installments. Balance changes on an installment account does not affecr scoring except when it goes below 50%

And this may or may not be true if you have a BK on file. I saw no increase in score (fico 8) paying a single personal loan open below 50% with my BK on file. I have not opened another one post post my BK.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, excuse me-installment. And I'm telling you that I have an alert on here that myFICO went down 4 points on a balance change. I pay for the services on this site which alert me anytime my score drops, there's an inquiry, etc. The balance went down a few hundred dollars. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.