Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Baddie I badly want to get rid of

tag
yyc
New Contributor

Re: A Baddie I badly want to get rid of

From my understanding, if they can't validate it, it's fake and they have to delete it.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've already paid the account. That doesn't matter? Regardless, that would be the next step then to try and get them to delete. But I feel as if what they are doing now is bad enough.

Message 12 of 20
yyc
New Contributor

Hmm perhaps someone else could chime in and answer that question, as I'm not 100% sure. Disputing it via CRA's is the least you can do for now.

Message 13 of 20
p-
Valued Contributor

@yyc wrote:

Hmm perhaps someone else could chime in and answer that question, as I'm not 100% sure. Disputing it via CRA's is the least you can do for now.

If it was me, I would try to DV.  It's an ethical gray area, since the account is presumably real, however they are clearly reporting untrue information on your report.

My suggestion would be to start with any clear, easy disputes first, that way you don't get tagged as a frivolous disputer, then do these last.  

If they are reporting untrue information about you on your credit report, I believe that is ethical justification for a dispute.  But I DO NOT recommend disputing true and accurate information.  that is dishonest and potentially fraudulent, and will not get you the end result you want.

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think what I may decide to do is first of all, continue with the bureau dispute process. If that proves futile, then I will taylor a DV letter to basically say because you've reported misinformation, I feel the need to DV the debt to at least verify what it is exactly that you are sending to them. Just a way to have them give me the information they have, because to be honest...6 Years ago was a long time, and I dont remember if I even signed anything other than the initial rental agreement. Thanks for all the input so far, but more input would also be great, thanks!

Message 15 of 20
p-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think what I may decide to do is first of all, continue with the bureau dispute process. If that proves futile, then I will taylor a DV letter to basically say because you've reported misinformation, I feel the need to DV the debt to at least verify what it is exactly that you are sending to them. Just a way to have them give me the information they have, because to be honest...6 Years ago was a long time, and I dont remember if I even signed anything other than the initial rental agreement. Thanks for all the input so far, but more input would also be great, thanks!

Time flies too...  you might reach SOL based on your DOFD soon enough and not have to worry anymore.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still got another year lol Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jacob85,

I have some experience and success with a similar type of account, though obviously not with the same companies.

Just to clarify, first -- you paid the collections agency (CA), not the rental company (OC), correct?

Also, are all of the reports on your file coming from the CA, or some from the OC?

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

To my knowledge, the CA and OC are one in the same. Both are CTL Management. That is what is listed as the owner of the property I lived at and also what is listed on my credit reports.

Recently though, one of reports updated as The Randall Group. Upon further investigation, they own CTL Management. But this changed only happened when I started to contact CTL, and raised some questions.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds to me like they've messed up/lost some of your paperwork and have lots of holes in their reporting... which could definitely work in your favor.

I had a similar account with a rental company (old, paid, reporting weirdly/inconsistently to all three CRAs) that disappeared when I DV'ed them and disputed through the bureaus at the same time.

Or you could continue to GW, go higher up the foodchain and email some execs, and/or change the wording of your GW letter to firmly illustrate that you understand the fine print of the FCRA (aka, you know that YES THEY CAN delete) and restate your request.

@Anonymous wrote:

To my knowledge, the CA and OC are one in the same. Both are CTL Management. That is what is listed as the owner of the property I lived at and also what is listed on my credit reports.

Recently though, one of reports updated as The Randall Group. Upon further investigation, they own CTL Management. But this changed only happened when I started to contact CTL, and raised some questions.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.