Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Few Questions..

tag
timeforrepair
Valued Member

A Few Questions..

I have started repairing my credit and paying off old Collections. Of course a new one pooped on as I was making progress it appears it was an older one ( exactly 3 years ago in Feb. ) that was sold to a new CA..now both collections on are on the report. I am sending out a DV on the new one. Should the old one be there as well? Second question I have 3 accounts scheduled to drop off in a year to 15 months. Would you bother with those or just let them drop? Do they automatically drop or do you have to fight the CRA's to get them dropped? ( EXP and TU have the actual dates that say will remove in X date ) Thanks for your time. I am using 7 year from DOFD as the drop date for EQUIFAX this seems to be correct because it is close to the other dates from TU and EXP

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: A Few Questions..

Reporting by a debt collector is of the fact that they have authorized collection authority.  Once that authority is terminated, either by sale of the debt to another or termination of their assignment from the owner, that does not negate the fact that they had collection authority.

It does not require them to delete their prior reporting.  Once their authority is terminated, they must update their reporting to show their collection is closed, and the amount under their collection is $0.  It is quite common to have more than one collection reporting on the same debt.

Many debt collectors will choose to voluntarily delete once they are no longer actively collecting on the debt for several reasons, such as clearing their records or avoiding any filing of a dispute over the accuracy of their reporting.

Once a collection is excluded from your credit report based on the expiration of 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account, that does not delete the debt.

It merely excludes any collection from continuing to appear in the consumer's credit report.  One can choose thereafter not to pay, relying only on credit report exclusion as the basis for preventing others from becoming aware of the delinquent debt, but ones does so at their peril.  There are other ways the debt could still be discovered.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.