Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Heartfelt Thank You

tag
minerva
Established Member

A Heartfelt Thank You

Hello all, first time poster, 5 year lurker. you all will have to forgive me but i need to get up on my soap box for a little bit.

I became "credit aware" back in 2006 after literally destroying my credit, it was in the preverbal crapper( 390-410 across all 3). I couldn't get credit for shoes. Nothing was more embarrassing than not being able to open a checking account at certain banks. I mean, when I met my wife we could not get approved for an apartment and had to have my parents co-sign 700 miles away( that's how bad it was). The most troubling part was having the income but not the "trust".

When I was trying to desperately re-establish my credit, I tried everything, namely multiple "credit fixing" agencies( the names escape me atm, but doesn't matter as they are all a scam and utterly useless).

Then I found this community, and from the advice here quickly realized that credit repair is nothing more than time and discipline. So for 4 years ( queue montage of guy sitting at computer desk with a shoe box of debt, a check book and a telephone to whatever song you like) I paid off debt's , wrote GW letters ( some to no avail) got 2 "bad credit" credit cards , cap one and FP ( can NOT wait to get rid of FP btw) and monitored my score like some religious zealot. i swear i've given EQ almost 1k in the last 4 years.

Well luckily my credit blunders were around the 2003-2005 period and last year my score really started to go up ( i was happy when they hit the 600's) , well trying to move into the "prime" Cc category i app'd for a Amex in 2010 and was declined, not really surprised ( being used to the "sorry, blah blah" message and learning that the median min score seemed to be in the 700+ range) i shook it off and decided I'd try again in a year.

Well, 2 days ago i applied again for the Amex Zync ( this card just seemed to fit our spending habits) and was instantly approved online! and was literally filled with tears of joy , called my wife ( she's in Japan atm) and you would swear we had just won the lottery.

Sorry for the long drawn out story, but i wanted to give a huge heartfelt thank you to the community here and hopefully provide some inspiration for others. The system does indeed work.

The information provided here is without a doubt the most honest and straightforward  anywhere I have seen, I recommend this site to anyone I talk to when we discuss credit ( and I do it quite often being in the military).This community is by far the most informative and helpful when it comes to one of life's most important factors. I cannot thank you all enough.

Starting Score: 570
Current Score: 776
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: A Heartfelt Thank You

Message 2 of 16
witanga
Valued Member

Great story I love hearing great news like this.

Starting Score: 535
Current Score: 674
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 16
CS800
Super Contributor

Congrats !!

Success stories like yours are inspirational to me and im sure many others on here on the road to rebuilding credit. These stories in some ways give us the extra patience and diligence needed to walk across the tough path.

Thanks for sharing

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Happy GOOD FOR YOU...

Message 5 of 16
TheR105
Regular Contributor

Congrats and I'm so happy for you. Just when I'm feeling discourage your story appears. Thanks

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your thankyous are returned 10 fold for serving.  Another one deserving. 

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The absolute best way to start the day, is to read a rebuilding success story! Congrats!! And, thank you soooooo much for sharing. Apparently, you have been lurking for quite a while, because you obviously understand how much inspiration it provides.

You rock!

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a great story - thanks for sharing what the process has been like for you!

It sounds like you and your wife have been patiently working hard.  Congrats on that AmEx Zync!  What a super job!!!

Message 9 of 16
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Success stores are always so great to read - congrats!!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.