Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Long Climb Out, But I Did It! -- My Success Story

tag
Minks31
Established Member

A Long Climb Out, But I Did It! -- My Success Story

Hello All,

I just wanted to send some encouragement with my own success story. I don't post on the board that often, but have been a member for two years and been looking on for three. Like many, my college/younger years did a number on my credit report. Plus if you include not having any knowledge of the importance of credit – not a good look.

Three years ago, I had a credit score in the low 500’s and begun a slow climb out of that miserable pit. Now, I can say my credit score is 736 (as of three days ago) and I plan to buy my first home in a little over a year (hope to have my all my scores about 760 at that point).

A month ago, my credit score finally hit the 700s and I got approved for two new credit cards with USAA. Now, I’m use to getting credit lines of $300, $700, $900 max...I got approved for a 12K line on one, and 10K on the other! I couldn’t believe it! And even with two new accounts and inquiries, the utilization boosted my score by 30+ points! (plus some timely fall-offs)

How did I do it? A lot of it comes from time and waiting for things to fall off. Also, I’m always on time with EVERY payment. And once I got out of the small debt I had, I pay in full all the time. I didn’t have any luck with any good will letters or any wishful thinking tricks/strategy’s, but I just stayed focused and knew the time would come. But I did have some luck just yesterday by having an old negative item taken off my credit report by doing a dispute!

But I just wanted to write and share my story, and show that it is possible! And it may be a long climb out of the bottom, but its well worth it once you’ve made it! And man, it feels good to have good credit and know that I can apply for anything I want!

I also feel like I can write a book on credit and credit scores now since I’ve gained so much knowledge throughout the years. LOL.

Keep, keeping on!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: A Long Climb Out, But I Did It! -- My Success Story

Very nice.  Congrats on your climb.  Sometimes we learn more from the longer journeys.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
tcrutchf
Valued Member

Congrats! I'm climbing too and finally seeing improvement using all of the things I have learned from the wonderful people on here!

Chapter 13 Discharge - October 27, 2021
Current FICO 8 scores: Experian-689 Equifax-676 TransUnion-656
Message 3 of 4
tlbrown23

So inspirational! Thanks for sharing.

Started Credit Journey June 2012 with EQ score of 562 (not fico)
Current Fico Scores 6/25/13: EX 617, EQ 596, TU 653
Current Goal: Middle score of 640
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.