Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A & S Collection Associates fraud

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A & S Collection Associates fraud

I have an issue with A & S Collection Associates.   They are reporting false information to equifax and every time I dispute the info with equifax, equifax says the infomation is valid... and it's not.  It's ruining my credit and making me look like some kind of delinquent.

The run down:

1. debt arose from towing incident in 2002. ($115)
  2. A&S picked it up in 2007
  3. in 2007 they sent me a collections letter for $5500.
  4. I freaked out and agree to pay 1500 to settle (it was really stupid of me, but i didn't know any better at the time)
  5. I paid the $1500, yet they still report I owe them $4000.
  6. I sent letters to my states attorney, my state DLLR, and equifax alerting them to the situatoin.

what should I do?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Re: A & S Collection Associates fraud

I am guessing it's legit to report the $4000 as uncollected- If you didn't agree to PFD. The real issue is how they get $5500 from a $115 original charge( was there years of storage fees) or the additional amount added by the collection agency?

What state do you live in? You may have some state laws that help.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Maryland.    I honestly feel that the 5500 was a scare tactic.  it worked  i freaked out... i was in college at the time and 5500 was like 5 million.  I called them and nearly cried!  but looking back, that was pretty stupid.  i agreed to pay 1500 to settle.
Message 3 of 8
Coreyswife4ever
Regular Contributor

WOW they are crazy.  $5500 from originally oweing $115.  You need to do some research and see if you can (1) find a copy of the original amount and (2) get your money back.  I would threaten them and say you have proof that they perform a fradulent act and either they're going to return you the difference between $115 (original amount) and the $1500 you paid or you'll see them in court.  Use some scare tactics back on them.  Even if you don't ask for your money back I would definitely say you are going to sue them for fraud and incorrect reporting on your credit report. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm so over the 1500, it's the stain that bothers me.  i need to switch credit cards and buy a home, i don't need that crap sitting on my credit.  thats why i have the 725ex-784tu-Smiley Mad677eqSmiley Mad.   these people are nuts...  a month after i paid the debt, i called to see why they were still reporting $4000.  Michelle Brown, a contact there, said well the debt was 1600 and i had only paid 1450.  She went on to say that i needed to review my paperwork.  Paperwork?  I said i never recieved any paperwork, she said "oh".    these people are criminals, i'm fine with the 1500 loss, which i will bill to Ignorance Inc, but i'm not okay with the blemish. 

should i get a lawyer?  the blemish is due to be removed in march or april.  should i just wait it out?

i'm really confused,  i was approved for Porsche 911 but can't get a new credit card because of this mark.

Message 5 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Couple of things to ponder:

1) Were there any storage fees that could have inflated the amount owed? Or did you get the car back immediately (e.g. within a day)? In other words, could the $115 be from the tow company and then experience storage fees of $5k plus...two different debts?

2) Have you sent them a DV letter via the USPS CMRRR? If not, do so now.

3) Never ever never talk to a CA. Their word is never their bond. Always get everything in writing. In the eyes of any court, the settlement never occurred if it wasn't in writing.

4) Let's assume the CA only claimed $115 was owed and you paid it. The debt would still report. Even if it reports $0, your FICO score will not improve. It doesn't matter if you owe $0 or $10,000, the damage to your score is the same. The only way to get it off was if you send a PFD agreement via a $1500 settlement.

5) Ditto to others. They sound shady. Get info via the DV letter first. Don't dispute with the CRAs. Wait on the info and once received, then decide what to do. Maryland does have some good consumer protection laws. Their agencies are very proactive on stuff like this. However, get info from the CA first.

6) If you want to buy a house, do not apply for a car or a CC. It'll cause your scores to drop and may impact your chances for a loan. Ideally wait 6-12 months before buying a house if you get the car. Congrats, BTW. Your scores are solid....I'd wait until after you close on the house to get any more CCs. Keep the ones you have.

7) Some credit cards are screwy. My scores were in the low to mid 700s and still got denied for Citi...for their most basic CC.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Change to collection on debt by: A&S COLLECTION ASSOCIATES, INC

In 5/1/2007, the collection agency A&S COLLECTION ASSOCIATES, INC was hired by creditor Not Reported to collect $5,453 in debts on account number XXXXXXXX6841.

Previously reported           Newly reported

Date reported: 10/1/2009       11/1/2009
 Current balance: $4,003        $0

Message Edited by cvaria on 11-06-2009 11:45 AM
Message Edited by cvaria on 11-06-2009 11:45 AM
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

looks like angry letters, sent to the right places,  work!Smiley Happy   What a relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

letter sent:

Sent via Certified Mail

name

address

October 23, 2009

A & S Collection Associates

2847 Vermont Route 14,

Williamstown, VT 05679

RE: Dispute of Debt and Request Removal of False Information (Ref Acct#: XXXXX)

To Whom It May Concern:

I have, per my agreement with A & S Collection Associates and for the sake of my credit, paid the sum of $1500 to settle the alleged debt created by XXXX Autobody.   The agreement was to pay $50 per month until the debt was settled after an initial $50 payment on the date of agreement ($50+ twenty-nine payments of $50).  All of these payments were made, with final payment being sent 09/08/2009 and received no later than 09/15/2009 yet A & S Collection Associates still reports $4000+ of unpaid debt to Equifax.  

There is no longer any debt owed to A & S or Pikesville Autobody. Please remove any and all fraudulent and negative information from my credit report maintained by each of the following three major credit reporting agencies immediately:

1. Equifax
  2. Experian
  3. Transunion

After furnishing and/or completing the above, continue to abide by the cease and desist all communication[1] sent to you, on June 11 of 2009, concerning this account.

Any future contact, outside those enumerated by 15 USC 1692c, by your company will be in violation of the FDCPA.  Since you already have my location information, calls made by you or your company to any 3rd party concerning me also violates section 15 USC 1692c.  All transgressions of 15 U.S.C. § 1681s-2, by your company will be in violation of the FCRA.   I will purse every single violation and the aggregate.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter,

name

cc:            Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation, Office of Commissioner of Financial Regulation, 500 North Calvert Street, Suite 402, Baltimore, MD, 21201

Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Protection Division, 200 St. Paul Place, Baltimore, MD, 21201

Fair Trade Commission, Consumer Response Center, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20580

Equifax, P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

[1] 15 USC 1692c: CEASING COMMUNICATION: If a consumer notifies a debt collector in writing that the consumer refuses to pay a debt or that the consumer wishes the debt collector to cease further communication with the consumer, the debt collector shall not communicate further with the consumer with respect to such debt, except—

1.        to advise the consumer that the debt collector’s further efforts are being terminated;

2.        to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor may invoke specified remedies which are ordinarily invoked by such debt collector or creditor; or

3.        where applicable, to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor intends to invoke a specified remedy.

Message Edited by cvaria on 11-06-2009 11:56 AM
Message Edited by cvaria on 11-06-2009 11:56 AM
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.