Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A collection came back to life but from another creditor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A collection came back to life but from another creditor

Okay so I had my identity stolen from me before I was 18, so you can imagine how hard it was getting my little used car with no credit plus a derogretory mark.

Anyways took a couple of months of researching and reading this forums on what to do because at first I was making payments to this account that isn't mine just to get rid of it. Anyways I asked for a validation of debt they promised they would get back to me within 30 days, after 30 days I contacted them, saying they have failed to validate the debt in which I will get in contact with a lawyer if they refuse to remove the account, I also contacted the 3 bureaus and sent them copies of my letters and 30 months later, the account was gone. Or so I thought.

While that account has been gone, now 22, I have build my credit up faster than most at my age.

I was looking into a house after I pay off the little debt I owe.

UNTIL this account came up again, from a different collector.

I tried contacting via email but they rather me contact my assigned rep via phone. Suggestions?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A collection came back to life but from another creditor

@Anonymous wrote:
Okay so I had my identity stolen from me before I was 18, so you can imagine how hard it was getting my little used car with no credit plus a derogretory mark.

Anyways took a couple of months of researching and reading this forums on what to do because at first I was making payments to this account that isn't mine just to get rid of it. Anyways I asked for a validation of debt they promised they would get back to me within 30 days, after 30 days I contacted them, saying they have failed to validate the debt in which I will get in contact with a lawyer if they refuse to remove the account, I also contacted the 3 bureaus and sent them copies of my letters and 30 months later, the account was gone. Or so I thought.

While that account has been gone, now 22, I have build my credit up faster than most at my age.

I was looking into a house after I pay off the little debt I owe.

UNTIL this account came up again, from a different collector.

I tried contacting via email but they rather me contact my assigned rep via phone. Suggestions?

Problem is you used the wrong process to get this to go away. ID Theft items should be handled by using FCRA 605B. This involves getting a police report aledging ID Theft, a copy of your credit report with the item clearly highlighted (one for each agency), a signed statement (by you) asserting that the item in question was never in any way authorized by you and may be the result of ID Theft, and a copy of your ID and sending those fout items to each CRA, with a letter instructing them to exclude the item in accordance with FCRA 605B, ID Theft provision.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A collection came back to life but from another creditor

Stay off the phone, follow the prociess on www.identitytheft.gov

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.