Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A collection removed from the credit bureaus and I don't know why

tag
IllinoisNative
Contributor

A collection removed from the credit bureaus and I don't know why

Backstory:

So I transferred from TCF Bank to Chase in November 2011.  I thought my TCF Bank was closed out and I had just moved so I didn't think to update my address with them. Well, an automatic charge hit my TCF account and they kept adding fees.  It totaled $671 by they time they reported me to the credit bureaus in February 2012.  

Unfortunately, I wasn't really monitoring my credit at that time.  I had just moved, got a new job and was recovering from a major illness which caused my credit to go in the toilet.  Mostly because of medical bills...so I avoided even thinking about my credit score/issues/bills.  It wasn't smart, I know.  In 2013, I started rebuilding my credit.  I got most of my medical bills removed from my report, have a now paid off car loan in good standing, have 8 credit cards, and perfect credit history since that time.

But the shocker is that I just checked creditkarma and they removed my TCF Bank collection from Transunion and Equifax.  I didn't ask for that one to be removed.  I checked and they removed it from all three of my reports.  Does that mean they removed it from Chexsystems?  It's funny because they put me in Chexsystems in 2012 and Chase never balked.  I was with Chase when TCF Bank reported my delinquent checking account. I had ordered a copy of my Chexsystem report in late 2014 so I'm waiting to order my free new report.

I just have no idea why they would remove it.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I'm not even close to 7 years for it to fall off. I'm afraid to ask them in case they put it back on.  lol

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A collection removed from the credit bureaus and I don't know why

It could be that the agency holding the debt has sold it to another collection agency and no longer have rights to collect the debt. 

If that's the case it'll pop up with another agency on it soon.  You may or may not get a notice if they don't have your correct address.

If you have the money to take care of it you can try contacting the original creditor and see if they'll either pull it back or tell you who the new agency is. 

Or you could just cross your fingers and toes, stay very very quiet, and deal with it if/when it pops back up.

Message 2 of 4
IllinoisNative
Contributor

Thanks. I'm going to cross my finger and toes and hope it stays off my report.  If it reappears, I'll reassess. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

This is your opportunity to settle the debt with the OC before it reappears or worse a JDB reports. I would be calling the OC to come to terms on a settlement. Chex most likly still has this its different from the big 3 CRAs.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.