Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions - Feel free to chime in on any

tag
sge760
Contributor

A few questions - Feel free to chime in on any

1. Do student loans count towards the factoring of debt utilization vs credit availability?  I don't know if I worded that right.  What I mean is, once I get all my credit cards under 10% of their limits, will my school loans still be factored in my debt ratio?

2. I am interested in starting a shared secured loan with my credit union, and have been trying to find material about amounts and lengths of time to set it up for.  Does the amount matter?  If I set up a shared secured loan for 500, will that do the same good as if I set up one with $1000, $2500, or $5000?  Also, does the length of time matter?  If I paid it off within 6 months, will it do the same amount of good if I paid it off within 18-24 months?

3. I have 2 collections reported by 2 different companies on my credit report for the same account.  I have called both numbers, and they both lead to the same company (the first of the 2 listed in my report).  I have also contacted the original creditor and they are still willing to accept payment.  My question is if I pay the original creditor, will I be able to dispute  the collection agency and send them a debt validation because they no longer have the account placed with their company? I have removed collections in the past due to collection agencies no longer having the account placed with them.  Or should I try to create a "pay for deletion" deal with the collection agency?  My own hesitation with it is that they are currently reporting it under 2 names, so even if they delete it with one company, they may keep the other company.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: A few questions - Feel free to chime in on any

1) Installment utilization (e.g. SLs, mortgages, personal loans, car loans, etc.) are scored separate and differently than revolving utilization (e.g. CCs, HELOCs, and LOCs). FICO views revolving utilization at a much higher standard and level than installment loans. With many in here, you can pay off your revolving balances from 90% to 1%, as an example, and see a return of 100 points or more. You can pay down your loans from 90% of the org. balance down to 1% and probably not see any gain.

2) I wouldn't recommend a secured loan. You are paying for the priveledge to use your own money. Plus installment is a tiny part of FICO scoring. You can easily hit 800+++ without a loan (BTW, you already have loans so it won't help at all).

3) You can dispute the extra CA, but I'd start by sending DV letter to both with a mention to both that they are reporting (don't say what they are reporting). One should fall off. The other should verify. Then send a PFD to the correct one.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.