Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions on different cards

tag
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

A few questions on different cards

Hi, I used to post a lot a while back in 2013-2014, maybe into early 2015. I had built an excellent credit history after rebuilding from one or two dinky collections, built myself up to over 700 scores, approved for literally everything I put my hands on....unfortunately, this year I had to file bk7 (discharged June 20th this year). I left my job April of last year to take on my business full time and while it kept us alive, I just couldn't keep up with all those balances. I had WAY too many. 

So I am now rebuilding after BK. My Valero and Kohl's card are old and remained open since they had no balance, so I already had those. I was approved for Capital One Platinum literally ONE day after my BK. Also Credit One (had to have the pink card). It may not have been necessary, but I also got the Indigo card. It honestly doesn't sound TOO bad, though. 

I only got two cards from Comenity shopping cart trick, because I remember last time I went nuts with them and there is just no need. So so far, just Express & Overstock. 

My questions are - it has been a long time now since I had a Credit One card. Can someone remind me how interest works? I know that they charge interest from the day of purchase, but when is that reflected in the account? If I pay my full balance before the due date, do they still charge the interest? I just totally forget. 

*Also, with Credit One, I just got my card today and logged into my account and they didn't charge me for the annual fee. Was it maybe waived since I am an old customer? (They were not in my BK).

Next question - I had a Kay Jewelers card for $4000 CL, was not IIB and was still open just a week or so ago. Seems they closed it for inactivity. Are they easy if you ask them to reopen your account? I would love to have the amount for utilization and maybe can buy something small so it stays open. 

Last question - are there any other cards that friendly to new BK's? Aside from First Premier (which I'm not going to bother), it seems like I have all the ones possible. I mean store OR visa/MC. Not synchrony....maybe in a few months.

I think in a month or so I can apply for another Capital One, probably Quicksilver One. I qualified for it but they kept denying saying I already had an app on file. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: A few questions on different cards

Moving to RYC for better coverage
Message 2 of 8
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

or worse? Hello? Anyone home? Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Sorry about the struggles you went through but glad to see you are on the rebound. I would have guessed Cap1 as being good, but you already have one of those. I think trying to get another one of their cards like you mentioned is a good option.

As for Kay's. It won't hurt anything to try and get it back open, but I wouldn't have too much hope of it happening.

I never had CreditOne, sorry, so I can't speak on them.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do some research on Credit One. At that point you may want to cut it up and throw it in a trash can.
Message 5 of 8
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Do some research on Credit One. At that point you may want to cut it up and throw it in a trash can.

I used to have them when I was building my credit the first time. I actually never had any problems with them and cancelled before that monthly fee started.

With the one I have now, my interest rate is 19% (not bad) and $45 annual fee, paid once per year, no monthly charges. It seems like they might have waived this year's annual fee, because my card still shows the full credit limit (minus $6.95 for my pretty pink card). It could be because I am a former customer and had excellent history with them.

The only thing I'm worried about is how their interest works, because I forget from last time. But I'm pretty sure you just get charged full 19% interest for any balance still on the card by the time statement cuts. 

Message 6 of 8
RCOH
Regular Contributor

I have the Credit One card, opened May 2016. My annual fee didn't show the day I received and activated the card either. It did a couple days latter though. Your account will list the first payment due date and amount owed. It should be added soon. I made the same assumption as you, maybe they aren't charging me one. It's a one time up front fee the first year. If you keep the card more than one year you are charged monthly for the annual fee after.

They charge a 2.013% (monthly periodic rate) and 24.15% (corresponding APR).

EDIT: Your APR seems to be lower than mine. Didn't know they offered different APRs.

Starting Score 12/15 (FICO 8) EQ: 488 :-(
7/16 (FICO 8) EX:611 - TU: 579 - EQ 599 --- Goal 660+
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@new_earth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I used to have them when I was building my credit the first time. I actually never had any problems with them and cancelled before that monthly fee started.

With the one I have now, my interest rate is 19% (not bad) and $45 annual fee, paid once per year, no monthly charges. It seems like they might have waived this year's annual fee, because my card still shows the full credit limit (minus $6.95 for my pretty pink card). It could be because I am a former customer and had excellent history with them.

The only thing I'm worried about is how their interest works, because I forget from last time. But I'm pretty sure you just get charged full 19% interest for any balance still on the card by the time statement cuts. 

Actually that's a terrible interest rate. I can find cards around as low as 7.24%. My current Citi card is 14.49% and I have a credit score around 615. I wouldn't settle for a 19% card unless I was really trying to get my foot in the door, like with Discover's 5% card. 

If you really think about it... Look at it this way:

@$5,000 balance @ 19% over 3 years will require a payment of $183.28 a month. You'd pay $1,598.08 just in interest.

@$5,000 balance @ 10% over 3 years will require a payment of $161.34 a month. You'd pay $808.24 in interest. 

And then on top of it, they charge you a $45 annual fee. 

Should've stuck with a secured credit card from a creidt union instead that would've given you a long grace period, a much lower APR, no annual fee, and possibly rewards. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.