Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A good place to start?

tag
Treblat
New Visitor

A good place to start?

Just started thinking about buying a house, tired of renting. So, first thing i did was pull my credit score, 545 from EX and TU, 575 from EQ. Before i can even think of trying to buy a house, i need to get this up.I have a Visa CC with a balance of $3500 out of the available $4000. Thats a big one and will be paid down to 5% within the next 2 months. After that im not sure the best route. I have multiple paid collections account, none of which are close to the SoL. Is there anything i can do about accounts that have already been paid? I have 2 credit card acconts [sears and homedepot] that went to collections and were paid off, but still report every month.  it says they are closed but under payment graph it says ok for every month. should i try and do anything with these if they are reporting ok. and finally, i have 4 unpaid medical bills in collections, most under 300, one under 500. whats the best route to take with these? do you send out DV's even though its been past the 30 days? maybe a PFD?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: A good place to start?

@Treblat wrote:

Just started thinking about buying a house, tired of renting. So, first thing i did was pull my credit score, 545 from EX and TU, 575 from EQ. Before i can even think of trying to buy a house, i need to get this up.I have a Visa CC with a balance of $3500 out of the available $4000. Thats a big one and will be paid down to 5% within the next 2 months. After that im not sure the best route. I have multiple paid collections account, none of which are close to the SoL. Is there anything i can do about accounts that have already been paid? I have 2 credit card acconts [sears and homedepot] that went to collections and were paid off, but still report every month.  it says they are closed but under payment graph it says ok for every month. should i try and do anything with these if they are reporting ok. and finally, i have 4 unpaid medical bills in collections, most under 300, one under 500. whats the best route to take with these? do you send out DV's even though its been past the 30 days? maybe a PFD?

Hi Treblat and welcome to the forums!!!! I would definately get that Visa paid down. In the eyes of Fico that card would be considered maxed out. All the paid collections I would send GW (Good Will) letters asking for removal. The sears and home depot ones are paid collections? I would send GW letters on those. I would call the OC (Original Creditor) and ask if they can accept payment or recall the accounts from the CA's. If they can I would pay them in full that way the CA would have to delete their TL's (Trade Lines) off of your reports.

Community Leader, 

DaBears

Message 2 of 4
Treblat
New Visitor

Thank you, and thanks for the reply. i will read online some examples of GW letters. I wouldnt know where to start. Does anyone have any luck with disputes? or can you even dispute a collection that has been paid? as far as unpaid collections, am i reading this right? if i call the oC and ask them to recall the account from the CA if i pay in full, than that late medical bill wouldnt show up on my credit report?

Message 3 of 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@Treblat wrote:

Thank you, and thanks for the reply. i will read online some examples of GW letters. I wouldnt know where to start. Does anyone have any luck with disputes? or can you even dispute a collection that has been paid? as far as unpaid collections, am i reading this right? if i call the oC and ask them to recall the account from the CA if i pay in full, than that late medical bill wouldnt show up on my credit report?

Correct. You can call the OC and ask if they can recall the account from the CA. If they can the you pay the OC and the CA would have to delete their trade line from your reports.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.