cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little advice please...

tag
Gmarius

A little advice please...

So I recently thought about buying a new car and decided to check my credit report...well it wasn't very good. And then I got to digging and it seems there are a number of flags for accounts that had been paid in full, but are still listed as open. Accounts form three years ago to 12/2006. I am current on all my accounts for awhile now...I think last yr I got hit with a late payment on one account.

So I guess my question is can I get the accounts closed and removed...the ones that have been paid for? For example my car is paid off early last year, but I fell behind when I got laid off. Can I get that removed?

What is the criteria for removal?

Thanks?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: A little advice please...

An account that has been paid and is no longer open for your use should have been updated to closed.

After the debt is paid, the creditor may discontinue reporting, and thus fail to update the account to show closed.

I would contact them informally if you wish them to show closed.  I would not dispute as a first course of action.  I would dispute only if you cant get them to informally fulfill their statutory obligation to update their reporting so as to maintain its accuracy.

Payment or non-payment of the debt is not a factor in deletion of an OC account.

Neither is exlcusion of prior adverse items.  While they become excluded after expiration of their statutory inclusion periods, the account itself is not deleted based on exclsion of adverse items reported under the account.

OC accounts are deleted in only one of two ways.

Either the creditor reports its deletion, or the account has been closed for approx ten years, at which time the CRAs might exercise their administrative practice of purgiing old, closed accounts.

If you want the entire account deleted, you can contact the creditor and ask them to report its deletion.

Message 2 of 3
Gmarius

Re: A little advice please...

Thanks Robert.

Another question.

A number of them went to a collections agency. Should I call them or the orginal holder of the debt?

Thansk again!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.