cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A plea for help

tag
mvallez

A plea for help

First things first, I am ecstatic to have found this site, and can only hope that I am able to achieve a fraction of what it seems some of you have done in a short time.   I am 28 years old, with with a credit rating of 481, 468, 470...according to Equifax, TU, and Experian.  I tried to log in on myfico to see what my fico score was, yet I was unable to verify my identity at the moment. I have 19-20 negative items on my credit report, most of which are medical bills.  I have a negative account with HSBC, yet I called to talk to them about it, and they can't find any record of me having an account with them.

Also, I seem to have an address listed on my history that I've never resided in.  That combined with the HSBC bill makes me think my identity was stolen.  What steps should I take to investigate this, considering HSBC was no help?  Also, if anyone would be willing to give me any pointers on how to improve my credit, I'd be very appreciative.   My girlfriend is moving across the country for grad school, and I've been trying to get financing for a car so that I'd be able to visit her.  As you can imagine...with my scores, I've had zero luck.  I'm sorry for rambling, but I'm exhausted.  I haven't been able to sleep well lately with all this weighing on me.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: A plea for help

Well, as for the accounts you don't recoginize, you should dispute those with CRAs.  They will either come back verified (something you forgot about maybe), deleted (probably, if truely not yours), or updated (balances or status changed).  Good luck.

They other stuff that is your collections you should probably start with PFD attempts.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 5
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Just remember, with time, all of those things will finally go away.

What is important is, from today going foward, you tigten up on your credit use.

Start sending DV letters, then upon their reply, you can start sending GW or PFD letters.

We are here to help, so be sure to ask for it.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 5
JonRun
Regular Contributor

Welcome and let me say that I know how overwhelmed you must feel to get started rebuilding your credit. I jut started less than 2 months ago and have learned so much from these forums. My Equifax FICO was 550 on April 30. With a couple PFD's (pay for delete) to collection agencies, my Equifax FICO is now 630 and my TU FICO is 641. I have begun GW (goodwill letters) to the creditors that still show negative items and hopefully I can build my score more. I also opened up a CC with a small limit and keep that one at 0 balance and another I have with less than 10% on it. My score jumped 17 points when I opened up the new credit card account. Just be patient and don't get discouraged.
Message 4 of 5
2NE1
Established Contributor

@mvallez wrote:

First things first, I am ecstatic to have found this site, and can only hope that I am able to achieve a fraction of what it seems some of you have done in a short time.   I am 28 years old, with with a credit rating of 481, 468, 470...according to Equifax, TU, and Experian.  I tried to log in on myfico to see what my fico score was, yet I was unable to verify my identity at the moment. I have 19-20 negative items on my credit report, most of which are medical bills.  I have a negative account with HSBC, yet I called to talk to them about it, and they can't find any record of me having an account with them.

Check your PM! I've sent some useful tips to deal with medical bills and your HSBC account.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.