Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question on a curious deletion

tag
mysterythemoon
Regular Contributor

A question on a curious deletion

In 2010 I was hit with court fines for $3,300. I never paid ( I was dumb and 21, which were interchangable at the time). So of course they went to collections. Been there for years. About a year ago I decdided to get serious about paying unpaid debt and tackling the loose ends. But I was always very hesitent to even start on that one, due to how much time had passed and the amount. I was basically scared that doing anything about it would start the clock over, and since I was on year 5 of 7, I figured I just needed to ride it out. Well yesterday, I got a notice that a collection had been removed. It was that one! Not scheduled to be removed until 12/17 by TU (the only agency that had it). So this has me wondering: why the heck was it removed?! Has anyone had a similar situation? Could it be that another collection agency bought it and this is the transistion? I'm not inclined to call TU about this, for fear that it may be put back on, or the collection agency, as I may talk myself into starting the 7 years over. Any general thoughts?

Started on July 4th, 2016 with 400's FAKO scores, no FICO, a dozen baddies and no credit of any kind.

As of March 2018, Before The Fall:
AmEx Blue Cash Everyday: $12,600
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000
Bank Of America BankAmericard: $6,000
Capital One Quicksilver One: $5,500
Citi Diamond Preferred: $5,400
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $5,100
NFCU Go Rewards MasterCard World: $5,000
Wells Fargo Propel: $3,500
Barclay's Uber Visa: $2,500
AmEx Starwood Preferred Guest: $2,000
Citi Double Cash: $1,500
AmEx Hilton Honors: $1,000
Discover It: $600
Capital One Platinum: $500

TOTAL 2018 CREDIT LINE: $61,200

JUNE 2023 UPDATE
2020: COVID toppled me. All old accounts went into default. Business lost. Car repossessed.
2021: Cap1 let me back in (one secured/two not). Secured Mission Lane. AU on AMEX Gold, Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. Car loan approved without cosigner for $20,000. All current.
Currently: No lawsuits. Thinking most SOL have expired on CC debt. Fingers crossed my math and memory are correct.

CURRENT SITUATION:
Mission Lane Secured: $3,400 (SL $400 -- unasked for CLI)
Capital One Secured: $300
Capital One QS1: $300
Capital One Savor: $1,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000 (AU)
AMEX Gold: No Preset Limit (AU)
Citi Premier: $8,500 (AU)

SPRING 2026
ALL BADDIES DROP
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: A question on a curious deletion

Simply talking will never start the seven years back over.  Only payment and defaulting again will do that.

It's possible it went to another collection agency, but the maximum it can stay on your credit is 7½ years after first default.   So that 12/17 cannot change, provided you do not pay them anything, or a judgment for the debt.

I'd let it be.

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You apparently have both a collecton and a judgment reporting on the same debt?

If so, they each have their own credit report exclusion periods and dates that are separate.

Any collection, regardless of paid, unpaid, or under a payment plan, has a date-certain exclusion date of no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the date of first delinquency (DOFD) that preceded the collection.  There is no "reset" of the exclusion period.

You are likely correct in your assertion that the collection was deleted because the reporting debt collector no longer has collectopm authority, either due to cancellation of assigned authority from the current owner, or if the debt collector owned the debt, their sale to another debt collector.  That is very common, and required by CRA policy.

However, if a new debt collector reports, their collection will become excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the same DOFD on the OC account, so there is no reset.  The CRA will not be able to tell you why the debt collector deleted, only that they did, which you already know.

Message 3 of 8
mysterythemoon
Regular Contributor

There is no mention of a judement on my credit report. There is (was) only the EOS baddie for $3,300 through TU. 

Started on July 4th, 2016 with 400's FAKO scores, no FICO, a dozen baddies and no credit of any kind.

As of March 2018, Before The Fall:
AmEx Blue Cash Everyday: $12,600
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000
Bank Of America BankAmericard: $6,000
Capital One Quicksilver One: $5,500
Citi Diamond Preferred: $5,400
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $5,100
NFCU Go Rewards MasterCard World: $5,000
Wells Fargo Propel: $3,500
Barclay's Uber Visa: $2,500
AmEx Starwood Preferred Guest: $2,000
Citi Double Cash: $1,500
AmEx Hilton Honors: $1,000
Discover It: $600
Capital One Platinum: $500

TOTAL 2018 CREDIT LINE: $61,200

JUNE 2023 UPDATE
2020: COVID toppled me. All old accounts went into default. Business lost. Car repossessed.
2021: Cap1 let me back in (one secured/two not). Secured Mission Lane. AU on AMEX Gold, Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. Car loan approved without cosigner for $20,000. All current.
Currently: No lawsuits. Thinking most SOL have expired on CC debt. Fingers crossed my math and memory are correct.

CURRENT SITUATION:
Mission Lane Secured: $3,400 (SL $400 -- unasked for CLI)
Capital One Secured: $300
Capital One QS1: $300
Capital One Savor: $1,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000 (AU)
AMEX Gold: No Preset Limit (AU)
Citi Premier: $8,500 (AU)

SPRING 2026
ALL BADDIES DROP
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Simply talking will never start the seven years back over.  Only payment and defaulting again will do that.

It's possible it went to another collection agency, but the maximum it can stay on your credit is 7½ years after first default.   So that 12/17 cannot change, provided you do not pay them anything, or a judgment for the debt.

I'd let it be.

Nothing starts the 7 year reporting clock over - NOTHING.

However, this sound like traffic fines, no? If thats the case, they WILL flag your drivers license at some point and you will not be able to get it renewed until its paid.

Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRAs recently entered into a consent agreement with the office of the AGs of several states, part of which was an agreement by the CRAs to remove collections that resulted from a debt that was not contracted/agreed to by the consumer, which primarily includes governmental fines/tickets.

It is possible, if the debt was not related to a contracted debt, that the CRA removed under the terms of their consent agreement to discontinue inclusion of such collections.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Would it not restart if partial payment is made, resuming , and subsequent payments are not?

It also resets the clock for being sued, and a judgment would stay on report for 10+ years.

The only time you have nothing to worry about is when paying the entire debt in FULL (or for an agreed-upon final settlement amount), otherwise there is still at least some level of risk.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Would it not restart if partial payment is made, resuming , and subsequent payments are not?

It also resets the clock for being sued, and a judgment would stay on report for 10+ years.

The only time you have nothing to worry about is when paying the entire debt in FULL (or for an agreed-upon final settlement amount), otherwise there is still at least some level of risk.

The time for reporting can not be reset by anything however the SOL (the time in which you can be sued) that can be reset if you agree to make payments and then stop.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.