Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AAoA and line of credit

tag
diebadcredit6504
Regular Contributor

AAoA and line of credit

So after speaking with my wife who has excellent credit I asked her for help. Since I have a thin line of credit she said she would/could add me to a few cards with high limit we don't use with long AAoA.

So my question is what are the right step to take to make sure this happens? Also, how many points will it give me?
EX - 522 (Oct 2013) 695 (May 2014)

TU FICO - 580 (Oct 2013) 680 (May 2014)

EQ - 509 - (Oct 2013) 672 (May 2014)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: AAoA and line of credit

@gcalvillo6504 wrote:
So after speaking with my wife who has excellent credit I asked her for help. Since I have a thin line of credit she said she would/could add me to a few cards with high limit we don't use with long AAoA.

So my question is what are the right step to take to make sure this happens? Also, how many points will it give me?

Just have her call or go online and add you

As for how many points is anyones guess it will depend on what else is on your CR's baddies, TL's etc etc

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

@gcalvillo6504 wrote:

Just have her call or go online and add you

As for how many points is anyones guess it will depend on what else is on your CR's baddies, TL's etc etc

+1

Message 3 of 4
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

@gcalvillo6504 wrote:

Being added as an AU (authorized user) is overrated and overblown in terms of the results or a bump in your score is concerned. Trust me, I've done it. I had a very thin file with no baddies, only 1 secured credit card with a CL of $700 (6 months old). My gf has a 14 year old Chase credit card with absolutely IMMACULATE payment history at a $22,000 CL (6% utilization). Well, she added me as an AU and it hit my CR, on EX and TU the score stayed exactly the same, but on EQ my score went up only 1 pt. despite my AAoA going from 6 months to 7 YEARS over night and also adding her CL ($22,000) and payment history to my CR. It literally accounted for 1 pt only on one CRA. I think when it comes to your score, the scoring model basically ignores accounts that you are an AU on (For scoring purposes). It was a waste of time for me....

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Current FICO Scores: 783 (EX) | 766 (EQ) | 764 (TU)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.