Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADT debt collection - any advice?

tag
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

ADT debt collection - any advice?

I just got a letter from a CA who is working for ADT. This is for an alarm system for an in-law unit I moved out of on Nov. 6, 2013. ADT had been calling me, and when I returned the call (a few weeks back), the woman in the billing dept that I spoke to said she didn't know why they were calling me. I did tell her that I'd moved and had no association with that account -- as in, my name is not on the contract -- so could they please stop calling/contacting me? She said that my name was "associated" with the account and only the person whose name is on the contract (my former landlord) could have my name removed. I didn't hear anything about it until today, when I got the collection letter. What should I do??

I have literally spent the last five years cleaning up my CR, through a year of unemployment, through moving across the country to accept a job I didn't like at a much lower pay, through lots of sweat and lots and LOTS of tears. I have spent YEARS of hard work on this and now I feel like it was all for nothing: not one darned thing. 

What should I do? A DV? In the meanwhile, I emailed the former landlord and asked her to remove my name from the account ASAP -- but what if she doesn't??

Before my heart breaks to pieces, I come to the amazing community here for desparately-needed advice: please help.

Starting Score, 2011: TU 635, EQ 637, EX/FAKO 538
2014 (mortgage broker pull): TU 670, EQ 669, EX 674
2017 FICO 8: TU 730, EQ 732, EX 738 - Finally made the 700 club!
2021 FICO 8: TU 693 EQ 705 EX 690
I only have four cards, so not worth showing. $15,600 total CL.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: ADT debt collection - any advice?

@hapagrrl wrote:

I just got a letter from a CA who is working for ADT. This is for an alarm system for an in-law unit I moved out of on Nov. 6, 2013. ADT had been calling me, and when I returned the call (a few weeks back), the woman in the billing dept that I spoke to said she didn't know why they were calling me. I did tell her that I'd moved and had no association with that account -- as in, my name is not on the contract -- so could they please stop calling/contacting me? She said that my name was "associated" with the account and only the person whose name is on the contract (my former landlord) could have my name removed. I didn't hear anything about it until today, when I got the collection letter. What should I do??

I have literally spent the last five years cleaning up my CR, through a year of unemployment, through moving across the country to accept a job I didn't like at a much lower pay, through lots of sweat and lots and LOTS of tears. I have spent YEARS of hard work on this and now I feel like it was all for nothing: not one darned thing. 

What should I do? A DV? In the meanwhile, I emailed the former landlord and asked her to remove my name from the account ASAP -- but what if she doesn't??

Before my heart breaks to pieces, I come to the amazing community here for desparately-needed advice: please help.

If your name is not the one on the contract and you were not paying the bill then file a complaint with the BBB.  I would send DV as well. The landlord was probably paying the bill and had to give them your name since you were the one using it at the unit but that doesnt in any way make you responsible for paying for it.

Message 2 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Strange situation.  I might think about doing a direct dispute.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Start with a DV and see if ADT comes up with any of the paperwork

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 9
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

Hi, Everyone -- 

Thank you for the helpful advice. I decided to give ADT one more chance to make things right, so I called them first. The customer service guy I spoke with did confirm that my name is NOT on the contract, is NOT associated with the account and that I therefore have no legal obligation to ADT whatsoever. (Just to clarify though - when I lived in that unit, I did pay the monthly bill - despite the fact that my name isn't on the contract). I told the guy I would be happy to pay anything owed up until that Novemer 6th date. But, my obligation to pay them ended on that date: I have since had literally nothing to do with that place in any way.

Then I sent a DV to the CA. We'll see what they come up with..

BTW - I will most certainly file a complaint with the BBB if I don't get the result I expect from ADT. 

Message 5 of 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

@hapagrrl wrote:

Hi, Everyone -- 

Thank you for the helpful advice. I decided to give ADT one more chance to make things right, so I called them first. The customer service guy I spoke with did confirm that my name is NOT on the contract, is NOT associated with the account and that I therefore have no legal obligation to ADT whatsoever. (Just to clarify though - when I lived in that unit, I did pay the monthly bill - despite the fact that my name isn't on the contract). I told the guy I would be happy to pay anything owed up until that Novemer 6th date. But, my obligation to pay them ended on that date: I have since had literally nothing to do with that place in any way.

Then I sent a DV to the CA. We'll see what they come up with..

BTW - I will most certainly file a complaint with the BBB if I don't get the result I expect from ADT. 

Good luck but this should be an easy win

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 9
hapagrrl
Regular Contributor

AGAIN?! ADT debt collection - any advice?

Hi, Everyone --

Well, hereI am again, asking for advice: turns out ADT is after me *again* Same situation (read my post at the beginning - from MAY 2014), only now more time has passed  - I haven't lived in that "apartment" in 2013!! The last I heard from them was in May 2014, when I sent a DV and never got a response. Today, I open  my mail and lo and behold - there's another collection letter, saying I owe over $400 to ADT. What on earth?!  Not only have I NOT live there (as of Nov 6, 2013), but I've since purchased my own home. This is the last thing on earth I need Smiley Sad 

So again, I'm need a little help from myFico forum friends - do I have any recourse at all here? 

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Hire an attorney and challenge your legal contract obligation for any debt.

Message 8 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AGAIN?! ADT debt collection - any advice?

Send an ITS letter (intent to sue) to the CA.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.