Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFNI-Sprint

tag
GameMaster1564
New Contributor

AFNI-Sprint

I have a debt with Sprint that has been with AFNI collections since November 2015. Sprint still owns the debt since I am able to log into my old account and pay.

I thought that these "utilites" companies switch collection agencys every 6 months or so? If so, then why I am stuck with AFNI for over a year? I been waiting for a long time for them to transfer it over to a new collection agency, in which I would jump ahead and pay Sprint directly. So far, no luck. I have not contacted AFNI in any form or fashion.

Should I give in and pay Sprint directly and then dispute off AFNI if possible? The debt is in SOL and is only for $340.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AFNI-Sprint

in your case i think you should no doubt pay it if possible on the sprint website while you have the chance to do so. Once it posts, dispute it on your CR.. Others i'm sure will chime in with their opinions.

Message 2 of 7
NYKnicks65
New Contributor

They do change collection agencies about every six months. I called AFNI and emailed AFNI and they would not budge. They do not remove the collection for a pay in full. They will only update your credit report. Depending on how long you want to wait, I would let it ride and wait until it's picked up by another collection agency. AFNI will no longer have collection authority and will have to remove it from your credit report. When you get the letter from the new collection agency, pay it and it will not be reported.
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There is no basis for dispute of a collection based on the consumer having paid the debt, regardless of whether the debt is paid to the creditor or to the debt collector, if the debt collector still has active collection authority.

CRA policy is that debt collectors not delete based on payment of the debt.

However, CRA policy requires a debt collector to delete if their collection authority is terminated with the debt remaining unpaid.

If deletion of the collection is a requirement, then I would not pay the creditor and then expect deletion based on a subsequent dispute.

I would send a pay for deletion offer directly to the debt collector.  If they accept, you have an enforceable contract term.

Message 4 of 7
GameMaster1564
New Contributor

Update: Out of curiosty, I tried to log into the AFNI site using the account number on the dunning notice. I was greeted by a "Your account has been closed with our office, please contact the original creditor for more information. Thank you." message.

AFNI is still reporting on my reports and there is no telling how long my account was closed.

What is the next best step for this?

Message 5 of 7
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Call Sprint and see if they still have the account. If so either pay or make arrangements to pay. And you can dispute AFNI as not having collection authority
Message 6 of 7
GameMaster1564
New Contributor

I just finishing chatting with sprint and they still have my account on file and I could pay at anytime. They also said that they will "get it cleared from my reports after contacting AFNI'.

I will give them 10 days after payment before I send off a dispute.

Thanks to all

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.