Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFNI and ATT

tag
cdub69
Regular Contributor

AFNI and ATT

I have a collection account with AFNI  from an old AT&T bill.AFNI refuses to do a  PFD,but AT&T will still accept a full payment. If I pay AT&T instead of AFNI,can I get this account removed fom  my credit report?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AFNI and ATT

I just paid my wifes old AT&T Wireless account direct to AT&T last week.  I would either suggest a DV with the CA (which they will no longer be able to do after payment to OC) or contact AT&T directly and ask them to recall the collection once you've paid them. Take notes on CSR/Sup agent #'s...  I personally paid 'em with a CC, this way there wasn't a risk of a check payment being signed over to the CA. From the inside info I received via PM from one of the members here... it should be fairly easy for you to pay OC and have the TL removed by default.

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you pay the creditor while the debt collector still has collection authority, they are not required to delete.  In fact, CRA policy is that they should not.

Paying the OC and then sending a DV to the debt collector will not lead to required deletion.  The debt collector is under no obligation to validate, and since the debt would be paid, could care less about a cease collection bar, even if the DV were still timely.  They can simply ignore any DV.

You would have to get the OC to withdraw their collection authority prior to accepting payment in order to require the debt collector to delete.

That is totally at the discretion of the OC.

I would presume that later grant of a GW deletion by the debt collector would be lessened if they were simply cut out of the payment picture.

Message 3 of 7
zico325

hi guys i know this is and old thread  i have one quick question   regarding afni and att, should i pay them or att and if i  do pay att can i get afni to delete , any update on this is greatly appreciated  , just like the post said i have and account with att currently being in collection with afni but att will still take payment , any help would be great thanks y all

current fico, EQ 687, Tu 714, Ex 706
Message 4 of 7
midwestgirl44
Contributor

Maybe ask AT&T if they'll pull back the collection if you PIF? I'm not totally sure but wouldn't hurt to ask.
Message 5 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@midwestgirl44 wrote:
Maybe ask AT&T if they'll pull back the collection if you PIF? I'm not totally sure but wouldn't hurt to ask.

+1 and if they wont then DV the CA and if it sticks send PFD to the CA.

Message 6 of 7
zico325

thanks guys will try and see what will happen from there, just wanted to let you guys know i called att , and yes att will take the payment, and will tell the collection agency the account is paid in full and the collection will update the account to the credit agency as paid , if  i settle for half , the collection agency my report back to att account is settle and the balance is zero, so that in case you want future service with att , you have nothing pending i still dont know whether or not agency will delete it from my report which is my main concern,just an update

current fico, EQ 687, Tu 714, Ex 706
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.