Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFNI and SRI Inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AFNI and SRI Inquiry

I've recently pulled my Equifax  and TransUnion  credit reports and found two inquiries on my report from some people called AFNI and Stellar Recovery.

SRI is on my EQ and reinstated a collection from Dish Network, that I previously disputed as not mine and has now been reporting since January of this year. I have not received any correspondence from these people.

AFNI is on my Trans and they requested my credit report on 7/1/2015. I have not received any correspondence from them either. Any idea what I should do?

Any help appreciated, cheers everyone!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: AFNI and SRI Inquiry

A party does not need to contact you or obtain your permission in order to receive your credit report.

The FCRA defines purposes for which a party can obtain your credit report without your express permission.

These are set forth in FCRA 604, and are referred to as a "permissible purpose."

Debt collectors, regardless of whether they appear in your credit report, have a permissible purpose to obtain your credit report provided they have active collection authority, so that one looks legit.

As for AFNI, have you applied for any insurance?

Consumer initiated requests for credit or insuracne are permissible purposes to obtain your credit report without need for your authoriization/approval.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

A party does not need to contact you or obtain your permission in order to receive your credit report.

The FCRA defines purposes for which a party can obtain your credit report without your express permission.

These are set forth in FCRA 604, and are referred to as a "permissible purpose."

Debt collectors, regardless of whether they appear in your credit report, have a permissible purpose to obtain your credit report provided they have active collection authority, so that one looks legit.

As for AFNI, have you applied for any insurance?

Consumer initiated requests for credit or insuracne are permissible purposes to obtain your credit report without need for your authoriization/approval.

Sorry mate not sure I understand. My issue is SRI has not contacted me but yet they've put this collection back on my report and it's been initated since January of this year. I would think they should've sent me some letter or something by now. Their trying to collect a bill but they haven't contacted me through the mail. Just think that's odd, isn't it ?

No, I haven't recently applied for any insurance. I was just under the impression they were a well known collection agency. Thought this might be something I should inquire about. 

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Sorry, I read the post as relating to your finding of inquiries on your report.

If you filed a prior dispute, the CRA should have sent a Notice of Results of Reinvestigationo,which is the formal document that concludes a dispute and provides the outcome.

If they sent a formal Notice of Results of REinvestigation that stated they deleted the collection based on lack of verification of the disputed information, then there are reinsertin restirctions that require the debt collector to have first provided a certification of accuracy to the CRA, and then requiring the CRA to send you formal notice of their reinsertion. 

Did you receive a Notice of Results from the CRA upon conclusion of your prior dispute, and if so, what was its finding?

If its finding was their deletion based on lack of verification, then if you did not receive a separate Notice of Reinsertion from the CRA, the resinsertion was not in compliance eith the requirmentts of the FCRA.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Sorry, I read the post as relating to your finding of inquiries on your report.

If you filed a prior dispute, the CRA should have sent a Notice of Results of Reinvestigationo,which is the formal document that concludes a dispute and provides the outcome.

If they sent a formal Notice of Results of REinvestigation that stated they deleted the collection based on lack of verification of the disputed information, then there are reinsertin restirctions that require the debt collector to have first provided a certification of accuracy to the CRA, and then requiring the CRA to send you formal notice of their reinsertion. 

Did you receive a Notice of Results from the CRA upon conclusion of your prior dispute, and if so, what was its finding?

If its finding was their deletion based on lack of verification, then if you did not receive a separate Notice of Reinsertion from the CRA, the resinsertion was not in compliance eith the requirmentts of the FCRA.

I can't remeber it's findings , it was quite a while ago I disputed this item. Everything I disputed was removed, nothing else but this particular has been reinserted. The collection in question was also being handled by another CA at the time also, so that could explain why I never receieved a notice of reinsertion. The previous holder was Allied Interest, now the collection has transferred moved to Stellar. 

Maybe it would be best to speak to Dish and see if they can terminate collection status with Stellar and I can pay them directly. Is it a option to send PFD to both companys and see if either is wiling to take payment for deletion ?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.