Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFNI collection...thoughts?

tag
KitriPrincess
Established Member

AFNI collection...thoughts?

I received an AFNI collection notice months ago for an old AT&T account I used to have.  I requested that they validate the debt, and after several months of waiting, they finally sent me validation that I deem acceptable. The charge is a termination fee that I thought I had paid and never received the final bill from AT&T (or any reminders). I don't mind paying it, but it stinks that its on my credit.

Also, AFNI noted the account as "in dispute" on my credit reports which I understand can cause trouble when you apply for a mortgage, although I don't expect to do so until next year at the earliest.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best course of action? Any ideas will be appreciated very much.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: AFNI collection...thoughts?

Is this paid?  If not, PFD.  If paid, GW.

AFNI works with people on this kind of thing, I know that personally and have read many posts concluding the same.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 6
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

My experience with them was by sending a PFD letter-  fully intending to pay.  However they sent a letter back (for 3 different accounts) and said, "we were unable to verify these accounts, and are deleting them.  Please allow up to X days for them to be removed from your Credit Reports"

My advice-   send them a DV letter =)

Message 3 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I agree with bruiseviolet - first DV, then if you agree PFD/GW.

But didn't you say you already DV'd?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 6
proudnavymom
Regular Contributor

This is my experience with Afni.  I had an old T-Mobile account  with a balance of $638 with Afni.  Afni had offered a settlement of $50.  I tried to get them to agree to a PFD, but with every request, I would get the same response back--that they don't exchange payments for deletions.  I decided to go ahead and pay the $50 anyway,  and then was going to try and GW them to delete it.  Within a couple of weeks of paying the $50 settlement, Afni deleted the account from my credit report.  T-Mobile never did report it.  

Starting Scores TU 7/30/09 FICO 493 EQ 9/5/10 FICO 477 EX 11/14/2011 (lender pull) 575
Current Scores TU 10/19/2018 FICO 671 EQ 12/21/2018 FICO 614 EX 5/31/2014 FICO 658
Goal Scores 700 across the board
Message 5 of 6
KitriPrincess
Established Member

Yes...it took them 5 - 6 months to validate, but they managed to dig up the final AT&T billing statement that I never received in the mail.

Thanks everyone for your inputs, I appreciate your time Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.