Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFNI - won't update to PIF

tag
NibblesTreats
Frequent Contributor

AFNI - won't update to PIF

Hello,

I have one account that just won't go away. AFNI stll shows on my Experian report (the other two deleted when I disputed.)  This account was placed into collections. I made payments on it until paid in full. About 2 years ago I disputed and it got deleted off my other two reports, but Experian came back with "the debt is yours, blah, blah."  I didn't didsput that it was mine, I disputed that it shows it was settled rather than paid in full and I wanted it fixed. I tried disputing it again recently and got the same response.  

Does anyone have email information for the CEO of AFNI or someone of importance that I can bring this to? I'm hoping they will simply delete it and be done with it to be honest, but I'm not sure who to contact.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Starting Score: TU 607, EX 606, EQ 611
Current Score: TU 675, EX 671, EQ 654 - FAKO scores TU 744, EX 735, EQ 728 - I wish these were my real scores!
Goal Score: 750 across the board. Simulator says 806 if I stay on track for 24 months
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: AFNI - won't update to PIF

A party is requried, when the debt is paid, to promptly update the balance to $0.  FCRA 623(a)(2).

If you have disputed and the party has verified the accuracy of the continued reporting of a debt balance, you can sue them under FCRA 623(c) for lack of a reasonable investigation of your dispute.  You cannot sue them directly for lack of updated reporting under section 623(a)(2), you must base any civil action on their lack of reasonable investigation of your dispute that was based on their lack of compliance with section 623(a)(2).

Alternately, you can file a complaint with the CFPB for their lack of compliance with section 623(a)(2). 

I would begin by sending them an notice of their violation of FCRA 623(c) by verifying the accuracy of information that clearly is knowingly inaccurate.

I would give them a period of 30 days ot correct the balance to $0, and if not updated, you intend to sue for their violation of the FCRA and/or file a formal complaint with the CFPB.

Message 2 of 4
NibblesTreats
Frequent Contributor

Thank you RobertEG!  I will send this along and see it gets me anywhere.  Fingers crossed!

Starting Score: TU 607, EX 606, EQ 611
Current Score: TU 675, EX 671, EQ 654 - FAKO scores TU 744, EX 735, EQ 728 - I wish these were my real scores!
Goal Score: 750 across the board. Simulator says 806 if I stay on track for 24 months
Message 3 of 4
EvolvingCreditDiva2
Valued Member

Thank goodness RobertEG responded! I posted something similar yesterday & didn't get too much help. I'm going to look into this!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.