Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX - Is this worth a GW attempt?

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

AMEX - Is this worth a GW attempt?

Hi Everyone,  

I am trying to clean-up my creidt.  One baddie that I have on my CR is a 30-day late with Amex from August of 2012.  From what I understand, most of the scoring weight is carired in the most recent 24 months.  With this being about 4 months away from the two year mark, do you think it would be worth trying to GW this off with Amex - or will they even consider it?  I assume that this will stay on my report for 7 years (although less weight on score), so perhaps worth trying?

I appreciate any thoughts!

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX - Is this worth a GW attempt?

GW can never hurt since it will stay on your report for 7 years.  Not sure AMEX will do much, but worth a try.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 2 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

+1.  Always worth a shot.   But even if they won't removed it, as mentioned above it will have little or no effect on your FICO score due to age.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 4
EW800
Valued Contributor

Thanks to each of you.  

I took step one...  I called the standard AMEX number on my card.  A was refered to their credit department, however I the gentleman told me that before I call I must have my actual true credit report in front me, as the credit department would need some specific numbers off of it to be able to do this.  Right now I am just working off of my MyFico purchased reports, which I do not beleive have these numbers.  As soon as I have them, I will give it a try, and then try snail-mail if that does not work.  

Has anyone had success with AMEX as far as GW of a single 30-day late?  Would anyone be able to send me the best smail-mail address to use for them?

Thanks so much!

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.