cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX -- Unauthorized charge...how to proceed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX -- Unauthorized charge...how to proceed?

Hi Folks,

I am a bit frustrated dealing with the customer service reps putting me in a catch-22 scenario.  I purchased gas (06/19) with my AMEX card for the amount of $5, for which I have a receipt.  I normally monitor my transactions online and noticed on 06/22, on my"recent activity" section, there is a charge from the same merchant (Shell Oil) with a $5 AND a $75 charge.  I tried to dispute online for the $75 amount, but kept getting a server error so I called AMEX.  Spoke to a courteous gentleman who mentioned that what probably happened is that when I used my card, Shell does what he called a "pre-authorized" charge, until I make my purchase at which time they have the exact amount which is then posted as a transaction to my card.  And that $75 even charge sounds a lot like that pre-authorized charge.  However, this $75 should not have posted once I made my purchase of $5. 

I got a letter that requested more information on Friday (06/27) as a result of the customer service rep opening the dispute, for which I'm still drafting a letter.  Today (06/30) I got a new letter regarding the dispute stating that the dispute is closed because it can only be made by swiping a card into a Card Activated Terminal.

I called again and spoke to a supervisor at AMEX... of course, they apologized for all my frustration.  They said I needed a receipt which proves the $75 charge is not mine, which is extremely silly, since I emphatically stated that I could not provide a receipt for a transaction I never took part in!   I also asked why they sent a letter requesting more details and closed the inquiry a few days later without having received the letter.  So they apologized yet again and have opened a new inquiry.

I have a feeling that they'll just have the same inevitable and very false conclusion that the charge is mine when this new inquiry is investigated.  Is there any course of action I can take?  I am unemployed, or otherwise would just pay this charge of $75, which I should use for my most basic expenses for the month.

On the other hand, on principle alone, I am discouraged, because it is just not fair if I paid $75 so that my credit score is not affected; I always pay my monthly balance in full.  I did not authorize this transaction and my car won't even hold this much fuel ($80).  They were also able to tell me that the transactions were a few minutes apart, one was 11:22 am and the other was 11:25 am.  I have had the card with me at all times and am sure no one is using this card for fraudulent activity.  All the charges on the recent activity are mine.  I am more inclined to believe this is a problem with Shell's method of handling the $5 transaction.

The supervisor stated that I can have fraudulent activity placed on the card, but then my account number will change.  Should I proceed with fraud?  I understand that a new account number will be given, but I would like to preserve my excellent payment history with the current account number.  How are TL's dealt with in credt reports, as related to fraud?

Any other course of action, suggestion, or advice?  Any light at the end of the tunnel?

Thanks in advance.

----------
EQ FICO 709 (06/21/09)
TU FICO 699 (06/25/09)

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX -- Unauthorized charge...how to proceed?

Have you called the Shell station yet?  If not, do so, and explain to them what's going on and ask if there's anything they can do to help the situation.  Speak to a manager-level or higher person.  If that AmEx rep is correct in thinking it was a pre-auth, the Shell folks should know that and be able to recognize it and hopefully be able to initiate a refund to your card.

Good luck.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.