Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX always reports late on DMP?

tag
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: This burns bad.

@Anonymous wrote:

I shared my story briefly in part on other posts but I think I should just go ahead and write here the entire story.

Late this past summer I decided that my minimums were too high with all of my credit cards and to consolidate payments with a debt management program.

Ironically just after this, I obtained a new job that was a 25% raise, but hey, who cares right? More cash for savings.

I had originally intended to put my Blue Cash card from American Express on the account and pay my Zync in full.

It wasn't until early October that we heard back from American Express that I have to have both cards on the debt management program or else they wouldn't approve it.

Ok fine. I added both cards to the account and proceeded to increase my monthly payment to Greenpath and all was well. Or so I thought.

Fast forward to three days ago on Sunday when I receive an email that my American Express card has gone 30 days late on the credit file.

Credit score on FICO goes from 665 to 597.

I immediately go haywire and call American Express and Greenpath to find out why.

After 2 days of investigation I finally reach someone at American Express who tells me that my charge card is still owed in full even when on the debt management program.

GreenPath did not know this happens with American Express charge cards.

Now here we are two days before Christmas and I have to cough up $2000 when I was totally unprepared (recent vacation, etc).

I emailed the GreenPath CEO and finally had a manager call me. I explained the situation and we agreed that their "counselor" messed up and should have asked if any of the cards were charge cards.

She has agreed to send a certified letterhead GW letter to AMEX to attempt to drop the late filing.

I have 18 days to cough up $2000. I can do this by stretching every last penny and paying rent late (a $100 penalty + pissed off management)

OR

I could wait and have a far more enjoyable January and have this paid off slightly later, but then suffer 60 days late on my credit report.

So my question is: Do I make every possible effort to avoid the 60 days late (and have one of the worst months possible financially), or let it go to 60 because it is not a big difference for my score?

Also, does anyone know how well AMEX will respond to a GW letter with official DMP letterhead?

Thank you and sorry for the wall of text.

AMEX does not respond well to GW letters, It's going to be a YMMV thing most of the time as they see it being late and they say it's YOUR responsibilty to check whether the amount would have to be paid in full or not regardless if it was included in a DMP. Now since it's a GW letter from the DMP themselves it may have more of an effect. Personally a DMP should know these things as it is what they do. Good luck witht the situation however. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 21 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: This burns bad.

Amex could care less about relationships. They burned my bridge pretty quickly. My AMEX horror story is in the link below. But...even with all the multiple lates, my scores now are back up to 740 eq / 747 tu/ 723 ex. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/AMEX-Payment-Plan-AVOID-AT-ALL-COSTS/m-p/3656...

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.