cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX not reporting debt - help regarding settlement - experts needed!

tag
bssmm614

AMEX not reporting debt - help regarding settlement - experts needed!

I've posted before that I received notice of intent to sue from Zwicker and Assoc regarding debt owed to AMEX. It is my understanding that AMEX still owns this debt and Zwicker is simply representing them and trying to collect. The interesting part is that AMEX deleted the account from my credit reports a little over a year ago and it has not been reporting since then. My main concern is that this not get re-reported once settlement or payment in full is made. Zwicker and Associates has agreed to settle for a little over half of what is owed (I'm happy to pay in full, but if it's not going to make any difference in reporting then I'll accept the settlement), but has made this statement regarding reporting.

"Zwicker’s relationship with American Express is focused solely on the collection of debt. I have no authority from American Express to act on their behalf in regards to reporting any information to any credit agency. I cannot speak for what American Express will do once the debt is settled, but I can tell you that no action of that nature will be taken by myself or the other attorney in the office."

When contacting AMEX's credit reporting department, all they will tell me is that the account is no longer reporting and has been deleted. They have verbally told me that they will not report once settlement has been reached, but will not send me something in writing agreeing to not re-report, but said that they will simply send me a letter stating that the account is not currently reporting and was previously deleted. I have received that letter and is says,

"We are writing in response to your recent inquiry regarding the credit bureau reporting of your AMEX account referenced above. We we would like to inform you that the account is no longer reporting and has previously been deleted from your credit report. Please note, the Account Identifier Number referenced above must be included in all correspondence regarding credit bureau reporting, as it is used for furnishing information to the credit reporting agencies."

So, in your opinion, is this shady on their part and are they going to go back and report once settlement is reached? I need to get this settled or PIF soon, to avoid judegement, but I'm uneasy that they might re-report. Any advice or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
bssmm614

Re: AMEX not reporting debt - help regarding settlement - experts needed!

And one other question, is there a risk to settling vs PIF in this situation? Are they less likely re-report if I PIF? Will settling make them more likely to re-report because they have to issue a 1099-C?

Message 2 of 3
bssmm614

Re: AMEX not reporting debt - help regarding settlement - experts needed!

Anyone?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.