Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANY chance Midland will GW delete?

tag
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

ANY chance Midland will GW delete?

I have two old "baddies" from Midland, both of which I've paid off in 2012-2013.  I tried to PFD them at the time, but like they almost always do, they refused and I got a decent 60-cents-on-the-dollar settlement offer on both debts and I paid them off as we were trying to qualify for a mortgage re-fi.

After all of my hard work (and the help of God and this forum!) the past few years, I've gotten my credit scores up from the mid-500s to the 690 - 715 range, but there I am STUCK.  I've done just about everything else I can do, paying off all my old debts, getting my credit utilization down to 0-9%, increasing my CLs, and getting some nice GW deletions.  The two Midland TLs are the last two baddies on my credit reports.

Do I have ANY prayer of getting them to GW delete if I call or write them, or would I be wasting my time?  Both debts were outside of the SOL and they weren't even trying to collect them from me anymore -- it was me who reached out to them to proactively settle.  Can I play that card and expect any courtesy from them?  Any other tools/tactics I could try?

thanks,

Paul

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ANY chance Midland will GW delete?

Absolutely play that card! Play any and every card in your hand, and even ones that aren't (bluff).

How old are the items?

Message 2 of 10
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

From my CPFB complaint response from them:

An  investigation  of  this  matter  indicates  that  Midland  Credit  is  the  servicer  of  two  accounts
belonging to you. 

Midland Credit became the servicer of account no. XXXXXXXXX, on behalf of
purchaser,  Midland  Funding,  LLC  (“Midland  Funding”)  on  November  22,  2011.   Information
provided  by  the  seller,  Citibank,  N.A.,  at  the  time  of  acquisition  indicates  this  account  was
originated on  October  15,  1982  as a  Citibank (South Dakota), N.A./Shell  Credit Card  account
number ending in XXXX, in the name of XXXXXXX, under the last four of the social security
number  XXXX.   Subsequently,  the  account  was  charged-off  as  an  unpaid  delinquent-debt  on
March  10,  2010.   The  balance  at  the  time  of  purchase  was  $3,106.86.  Final  payment  on  this
account was received on December  9, 2013. You have no further financial obligation for this
account.

Midland Credit became the servicer of account no. XXXXXXXXX, on behalf of purchaser, Midland
Funding  on  December  6,  2011.   Information  provided  by  the  seller,  T-Mobile  PCS  Holdings
LLC, at the time of acquisition indicates this account was originated on  December 22, 2007  as a
T-Mobile Cellular  account number ending in  XXXX, in the name of  XXXXXXX, under the last
four  digits of the social security number XXXX. Subsequently, the account was charged-off as an
unpaid delinquent-debt on February 21, 2011. The balance at the time of purchase was $340.93.
Final payment on this account was received on March  19, 2012. You have no further financial
obligation for this account.

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 3 of 10
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

(I had complained that they were still reporting a "KD" -- key derogatory -- on my Experian credit report, even though I had paid it off (it was showing $0.00 balance).  I didn't think they could do that, but they said that only the credit bureaus see that designation and I'd have to take it up with them:

"You write that Midland Credit is reporting inaccurate information on your consumer credit files
by  listing  the  account  as  a  “key  derogatory.”     The  credit  bureaus  determine  which  accounts
should  be  marked  as  a  “key  derogatory”  and  marks  them  as  such.   Midland  Credit  is  not
reporting the account as “key derogatory.”  In addition, it is Midland Credit’s understanding that
only  the  consumer  can  see  the  notation  of  “key  derogatory.”   You  are  encouraged  to
communicate directly with the credit bureaus should you have any further concerns regarding the
“key  derogatory”  notation.    Midland  Credit’s  business  records  indicate  that  it  is  accurately
reporting the above-referenced account to the credit reporting agencies.")

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Key Derogatory is simply a way for the CRA's to alert a consumer as to what they consider to be the 'worst' items in a consumers report. Its not something the CA's report.

GW deletions seem to require a lot of sweet talk, tact, finesse, remorse, and a demostration of rehabilitation of your 'bad behavior'. An prior adversarial stance will make that very difficult to acheive...

Message 5 of 10
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, Key Derogatory is simply a way for the CRA's to alert a consumer as to what they consider to be the 'worst' items in a consumers report. Its not something the CA's report.

GW deletions seem to require a lot of sweet talk, tact, finesse, remorse, and a demostration of rehabilitation of your 'bad behavior'. An prior adversarial stance will make that very difficult to acheive...

Well, I never DV'd or DD'd them and all of my phone dealings on negotiating out the two settlements were all amicable (as amicable as you can get with Midland, anyway).  The CFPB complaint was the first and only time I really contested anything with them.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, doesn't hurt to keep trying. All it costs is a little time and a stamp. Don't send the same letter over and over - rewrite and tweek each one to 'fine tune' it. GW them until its falls off naturally if you have to. They bug us to death when we owe, consider it a little payback.

Message 7 of 10
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

Better to phone or to write a letter?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use anything and everything, phone, letters, email, homing pidgeon, whatever. All you need is that one person who's having a great day when they see your request.

Message 9 of 10
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

I had midland deleted from my profile after GW letters, etc. PM me and I will send the list along. 

I didnt have luck with any ONE person per say. i just sent GW emails and letters to all of those people. REPEATEDLY. lol. At first i received a phone call saying that if I kept sending messages then they" would mark it as a dispute which will make my score go down" (which is a LIE). then i received requests to stop with my letters, but i didnt. I kept sending and this time i got responses from people, particcularly the VP of the mother company (encore) saying that she was personally handling my case. ;i sent messages to their board members, etc.  :smileyhappy:  I am persistent. Then after 4 weeks of that, I disputed, they deleted. I PIF in march 2012 and they deleted from my CRs after I disputed in Dec 2012/Jan 2013. 

Starting Score: 526 EXP 09/2012 600 FICO 10/2012 608 EX (lenderpull)11/2012
Current Score: 705 FICO TU (10/2014)Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.