Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARA Inc. Received Collection letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ARA Inc. Received Collection letter

I just received a letter from ARA Inc claiming that I owe a creditor from almost 12 years ago...I am pretty sure I paid that debt off, but do not have any record prove it. Any suggestions how I can dispute this? Is this even in the SOL?

Message 11 of 18
bicknar
Regular Contributor

Hello,

Thanks to everyone's input I followed up on mine and haven't seen or heard a thing since.  No marks on the credit report or nothin.  Anywho, I would recommend filing any correspondance that they send and not respond.  If you can verify independantly that you did in fact pay this debt off then even better in case they get beligerant as they did with me.  However yes, Mine was SOL as well and as I was able to verify that I made no payments within any SOL terms I was confident that they were blowing smoke.  I was in the same situation, I though I paid that off but it was so long ago I didn't have records or memories. 

Let them spin their wheels.  You will be amazed at how many violations this company will rack up.  My advice is to have fun and don't let them get to you.  Not worth worrying or getting upset about.  It is quite amusing when you can watch them try to collect on something they know they can not.

A

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have received collection letters & calls from ARA Inc.  I had an account w/Citi Bank  over 7 yrs. ago but never paid off.  After contacting Citi, I was told There was no  balance nor any information on me.  I must assume they wrote the acct. off.   ACA claims they bught the acct. from  City but City told me they do not do that.   This must be a scam.

Message 13 of 18
bicknar
Regular Contributor

wow. Haven't been here in ages. But yeah. I sent them a foad letter and never heard back. Good luck.

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 18
maxwell11
New Visitor

Received a call from ARA, Inc on May 8 from a Ms. Stone saying that I had a citibank credit card and owed $9,000When asked when was this from she said 2002I said I owed nothing and this is way past the SOLShe yelled forget about the SOL and she was going to call my employerThe next day I got an e-mail from myfico.com saying that there was in inquiry from ARA on my credit reportHow can they possibly have the access to my credit report? How do I get that inquiry off my reportCan this company do any more harm to meShould I notify the credit bureaus, ftc and attorney general's officeTheir company is located in IllinoisThey also have many different names and locations - ARA, Inc., Asset Recovery Assoc. and Financial Credit ServicesApparently they keep changing their namesDo I notify the Illinois Attorney General or the Attorney General of New York, where I live?

Message 15 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They can attempt to collect on the debt forever.  However, the still have to follow the FDCPA.

I would file a formal complaint with the FTC.

You can also send the company a cease and desist letter.

Message 16 of 18
LordAthens
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I have received collection letters & calls from ARA Inc.  I had an account w/Citi Bank  over 7 yrs. ago but never paid off.  After contacting Citi, I was told There was no  balance nor any information on me.  I must assume they wrote the acct. off.   ACA claims they bught the acct. from  City but City told me they do not do that.   This must be a scam.

Chances are pretty high that ARA bought the debt.  While there is a good chance they can't collect the debt based on your states statue of limitations, there are at least 6 states that the SOL currently does not apply to, so if you're in one of the states, they can still collect on you. 

Also, you say Citi has no information on you at all, so how could the rep know if they sold the debt to ARA?  I suspect Citi sold the debt to another "higher class" JDB, then was eventually sold to ARA.

As I said, if you're in one of those 6 states that the SOL does not currently apply to, don't brush it off as a scam.  They could possibly take you to court and you're going to have to pay up.

Starting Score:05/04/13 SW EQ607, SW TU672, PSECU EX xxx
Lender Pulls 04/24/13; EQ597, TU641, EX662
Current Score: 05/14/2013 SW EQ 643
Goal Score: 760's across the board would be nice, but I realistically won't "let it go" until I hit 800's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 18
girlmarin
New Visitor

This could be a scam.  I listen to a radio show where this exact thing came up.  The caller said they had an account closed years ago that was charged off and then she started receiving phone calls regarding the account and told to begin sending money.  If you had a discover card 20 years ago you need to call them and make sure the account is really closed and not transferred to anyone else.  You would need to find out if there was debt and it was sold but after all these years it is highly unlikely.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.