Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARA Inc. Received Collection letter

tag
bicknar
Regular Contributor

ARA Inc. Received Collection letter

Greetings everyone,

Has anyone heard of or dealt with ARA Inc.  I received a collection letter from them.  Second one.  First one I searched for the company, and the only thing I could find were fraud comments from people.  Right now I'm thinking it's a phishing scam.

Anyway, the letter references a Discover account with a ballance of 1700.00  I haven't had a Discover card in over 20 years.  Back then I Probably had lates, settled and closed.  However the first deliquency would have been over 20 years ago if this was even mine. 

The test of the letter starts.... As agreed your payment of $50.00 is due on or before February 2, 2010.  You gotta be kidding me, I've never talked to or ever been in contact with these people and certainly wouldn't agree to anything except that they should validate this first.

Any thoughts?  I'm still thinking of ignoring them, or should I DV?

A

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: ARA Inc. Received Collection letter

I would DV them rather than put up with the aggravation.
Message 2 of 18
bicknar
Regular Contributor

Thanks Lynette,

It's a thought.  Right now there is nothing posted on my CRs about this.  I'm pretty sure that they won't be able to validate.  Even if it's legit it would be way out of SOL.  It's over 20 years old so I don't know I could dispute or even remember the debt.  I wouldn't want to give them ammunition.

I'm more concerned that it's a flakey organization.  I guess my question is, what benefit would DV provide me in this case.  Right now it's not an aggravation as it's just junk mail.  No calls or inconvenience .... yet.

A

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 18
newstart2010
Blogger

I am dealing with a shady CA like that who calls me.  they do not have my addy, or personal info, they jsut have my phone number.  And they refuse to speak when I answer.

Something I have read about them is that when they do finally speak they ask you to verify yourself, including giving them your social security number.  DON'T!!!  If they don't have any info on you then they are a scam.  And this sounds like they are either trying to collect junk debt, or they are phishing.  I would ignore it since you know you do not actually own a debt.  Why verify that they have the correct address if you know its not your account and its not on your report?

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some complaint here. I held a Discover card in the early nineties. I started receiving collection letters @ 2004. I'm pretty sure that I paid off the debt with a tax check in the mid nineties. Is there any chance that a CA and sue me for the @$10,000 they is now owed? Isn't there a statue of limitations on these kinds of things? Any advice out there?

Message 5 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the debt is over 20 years old it cannot be added to your CR and is more than likely way beyond your states SOL.

That does not mean the can't sue you, though in some states it is illegal to bring a suit for a debt that is out of SOL.

If they did try to sue you, you would show up in court and claim expired SOL as your defense.

SOL is the time frame they have to sue you but, they can attempt to try to collect forever.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

These people are trying to collect an 11 year old debt.  I guess they think we are too stupid to know about the Statute of Limitations.

I thought this was someone else because the original bank was bought by someone I h nev er had an account with.  To my horror I found out they have my SS number, but I can't change that.

I have written and here is the address to the company [Edited].  I am also compaling to the regulatory agency in the state and writing a letter to their local newspaper.  These people have to be stopped.

[Personal Information Removed]

Hi Writer60! This post was edited to remove personal information, which is prohibited in the terms of service. ~LilMirth, myFICO Moderator

Message 7 of 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the SOL has expired and more than 7 1/2 years has expired from the DOFD on the OC account,then I would just send them a cease communication letter under FDCPA 605(c), and forget them.  You would have an absolute, affirmative legal defense, and it cannot appear in your CR.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I too received a collection letter from ARA Inc.  in regards to a car loan that is 13 years old. I was the co owner and my grandmother (who has been deceased for 13 years) was the primary owner.   I did some research before contacted them and only found rip off scam websites about the company. I called on a Saturday and left a message. I received a phone call this morning from a rep who did not sound to sure of what he was saying. He informed of a balance of over $7,000.00 and another $7000.00 in interest. Yeah right. When I started to ask him questions in regards to the validity of the account he started stumbling over his words. He concurred that the debt was from May of 98 but that his office purchased it from CAC in 2010 (could not give a date).  I informed him that the SOL is expired and that I have never seen this account on my credit report. He accused me of being aggressive and hung up on me.  I'm sending a letter to the p.o. box that is listed on the letter demanding no further contact from this company. I'm also posting a comment on the rip off scam website and contacted the BBB.

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is an agency in every state that overseas collection agencies.  I have filed a complaint against this company.  Call the governor's office and they will refer you on.  You can fill out a form online, but then they send paperwork for you to fill out.  We need to put up the heat on these scumbags.

Laura

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.