Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARROW FINANCIAL

tag
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

ARROW FINANCIAL

I received a letter from Arrow. They offered to settle for 65%. The orginal bill was $250. now with fees etc, it is over $800.

Any way my question is should I dv, pfd, or leave alone.  This collection falls off cr in less than 6 months.

Thank you

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ARROW FINANCIAL

That COMPLETELY depends on what your state's SoL (Statute of Limitations -- the length of time they have in which to sue you legally) is. What state are you in and what kind of debt is it?

If OUT of SoL: You can DV safely. ALWAYS DV before offering a PFD. You need to establish (and DVing does this) what the EXACT amount is, WHO can legally collect, and if it even belongs to you!!

(I'm assuming, though, that it's a CC debt -- and CCs usually have relatively short SoL (depending on the state -- some states are more unforgiving than others) -- with CCs, usually, if the CRTP is about up, so's the SoL)

And if it IS out of SoL, and you feel honor-bound to pay it off, go for the settlement.
Personally, I think the fact that Arrow's offering you a settlement means it IS out of SoL. They're not exactly known for being nice ... but they ARE known for buying junk debt and then being desperate to get a return on that purchase.

If NOT out of SoL: Unless you feel honor-bound to pay it off, I'd just leave it alone.

But do NOT PFD without DVing FIRST. Never, ever, ever, do that. Never.

And make sure to keep a print out of your CRs with Arrow on them ... Arrow's not above sneaky tricks like re-aging.
Message 2 of 9
RUSTY101
Regular Contributor

Thank You Wonderin, for the response. Yes it is out of sol. I live in Arkansas, the sol is 3 yr. This debt falls off my cr soon.  You are saying I should dv?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it's been nearly 7 years (you said it's supposed to fall off in 6 months), then yep, I'd DV (making SURE to keep a copy of a CR stating the correct DOFD/DOLA -- in case Arrow decides to be jerks and attempt re-aging).

Chances are, they won't be able to validate -- and if they can't prove or validate the debt, they have to delete. At the very least, you'll know WHO owns the stupid thing! And if the "settlement offer" they made is decent.

Mainly, I'd REALLY DV them based on the extra fees that ballooned $250 to over $800. Something's not right there. Smiley Mad
Message 4 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

If you do go after it, then keep an eye on their fees. Collection fees are prohibited by the FDCPA, but I had dealt with them and experienced this. I had a debt at $300. They doubled it to $600 with a one charge called "collection fees" and labeled it as such. Within a year from that, they did it again from $600 to $1200. By then CRTP was just about up so I sat on it and SOL had long expired. They fell off the reports earlier in the year and never had sent them anything. Well, I got a letter last week and the fee increased again to raise the balance to over $1500.

I'm all for paying my debts, and I had paid the OC $300 plus years ago, but no way will/would I ever pay them.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

If you do go after it, then keep an eye on their fees. Collection fees are prohibited by the FDCPA, but I had dealt with them and experienced this. I had a debt at $300. They doubled it to $600 with a one charge called "collection fees" and labeled it as such. Within a year from that, they did it again from $600 to $1200. By then CRTP was just about up so I sat on it and SOL had long expired. They fell off the reports earlier in the year and never had sent them anything. Well, I got a letter last week and the fee increased again to raise the balance to over $1500.

I'm all for paying my debts, and I had paid the OC $300 plus years ago, but no way will/would I ever pay them.

Yep. Arrow's been whining at us for a 20 year old CC debt my DH incurred in his college days. The CL was at the time somewhere like $500 ... they recently generously offered to settle for $4K (40% off the amount they say we owe now). Occasionally, they say they'll "take action" against us ... but never elucidate on what that "action" might be. Smiley Wink

They can kiss my you-know-what.
Message 6 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

If you do go after it, then keep an eye on their fees. Collection fees are prohibited by the FDCPA, but I had dealt with them and experienced this. I had a debt at $300. They doubled it to $600 with a one charge called "collection fees" and labeled it as such. Within a year from that, they did it again from $600 to $1200. By then CRTP was just about up so I sat on it and SOL had long expired. They fell off the reports earlier in the year and never had sent them anything. Well, I got a letter last week and the fee increased again to raise the balance to over $1500.

Yep. Arrow's been whining at us for a 20 year old CC debt my DH incurred in his college days. The CL was at the time somewhere like $500 ... they recently generously offered to settle for $4K (40% off the amount they say we owe now). Occasionally, they say they'll "take action" against us ... but never elucidate on what that "action" might be. Smiley Wink

Wow! That's a bargain. Smiley Tongue
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

as far as arrow goes.  I just got one of theirs deleted from my credit files by sending them a DV request.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@llecs wrote:

Wow! That's a bargain. Smiley Tongue

Yeah, I KNOW ... should we take them up on it before they change their minds? LOL!! Smiley Very Happy

They called me about a year ago and even though I didn't know much about credit repairing back then (l-o-o-n-n-g before I came to this site), it was all I could do not to laugh outright in their weaselly little faces!! Smiley Happy

Whatta buncha doofuses!! Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.